Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave charging cable plugged into wall all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also leave it plugged in the wall socket at all times. It does not get warm and does not use measurable (with my means) amounts of electricity.

This is very convenient as I only have to plug in the car side and I am done. Have two mobile chargers (home and office). But we are getting a wall connector for the office soon. These are also always connected to the energy source and do not have an 'off' switch. Then I will store the mobile connector in the frunk and be set for trips.

No reason to unplug unless you’re going on a trip.

Is the Mobile Connector controller light enough that it does not put excessive strain on the NEMA 14-50 outlet or the adapter pigtail?

Also, what is the consensus on the NEMA 14-50 wall outlet install height from the ground. The manual states a minimum of 18 inches but that seems low. Does anyone have a recommended height suggestion that works well for them?

Is the Mobile Connector controller light enough that it does not put excessive strain on the NEMA 14-50 outlet or the adapter pigtail?

Also, what is the consensus on the NEMA 14-50 wall outlet install height from the ground. The manual states a minimum of 18 inches but that seems low. Does anyone have a recommended height suggestion that works well for them?
The Mobile Connector unit is light. I wouldn't worry about that. It certainly didn't strain the 120V outlet I left it connected to at the airport for a week and a NEMA 14-50 is a beast compared to that.

The height isn't really that critical. 18" gives it enough space that only the cord will touch the ground. For an install in my garage I'd want it high enough that I could see the charging indicator from across the room for a quick visual check on whether the car is charging. My HPWC is mounted so that the charge indicator is visible just over the roof of the car.

The Mobile Connector unit is light. I wouldn't worry about that. It certainly didn't strain the 120V outlet I left it connected to at the airport for a week and a NEMA 14-50 is a beast compared to that.

The height isn't really that critical. 18" gives it enough space that only the cord will touch the ground. For an install in my garage I'd want it high enough that I could see the charging indicator from across the room for a quick visual check on whether the car is charging. My HPWC is mounted so that the charge indicator is visible just over the roof of the car.

Thanks for that feedback!