Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave J1772 adapter attached and locked, ready to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a way to leave my car locked (in a public charging place) with the J1772 adapter into the charging port, locked to the car, but ready to accept charge once another car is done and a Good Samaritan plugs me in.

I have already tried several combinations of locking the car first, plugging it first, with the app, within the car, etc, and have not found a way to get this done. Anyone with better luck? Thanks

It does not work for me the way you describe it. With the car locked, I open the port with the app, plug the adapter and the car does not lock it in. It’s like the car does not even notice the adapter is there. If I unlock and lock the car again the port tries to close but the adapter gets in the way and it goes back up, without locking it.

can you please try and describe the exact steps you follow to get it locked ?

The adapter is locked in by default. Just open the charge port, plug the adapter in, done. This is what we do at my workplace all time. If it is super cold the car may choose to NOT lock the adapter but given your location not a likefly problem.

Hmm, there are no other steps. It sounds like you are doing it right. Why do you think it is not locked? Are you able to to remove the adapter without telling the car to unlock the charge port? If so then you may have a defective port. Have you ever used manual release cable in the trunk? It might be worth checking on that to make sure it is not stuck in the unlocked position.

The charge port is not stuck since as soon as I connect the UMC cable it locks it. But if I connect the un-energized adapter it seems it does not detect it and remains unlocked (I am able to remove it and reinsert it several times).
I will borrow another adapter to try if perhaps my adapter is not working properly.

works fine
I've used this method many times at the airport park and ride.
They have EV charging spots that share a charger between several parking spots and plug/unplug you car to share the charge.
Used them many times and always have a fully charged car when I get back.

Is this a common practice? You want to leave your expensive adapter just hanging there and hope that when someone is finished charging they will hook your car up? What am I missing here?
I don't think the car will sense an adapter just sticking in the charge port.

works fine
I've used this method many times at the airport park and ride.
They have EV charging spots that share a charger between several parking spots and plug/unplug you car to share the charge.
Used them many times and always have a fully charged car when I get back.

Do the park and ride employees charge your car, or is this done by random customers? What happens to your adapter? Is it just stuck in your charge port when you get back?
Something doesn't add up with this thread. I'd never leave my charge port open and vulnerable.

The way it should work is: the adapter stays securely locked to the locked car, nobody can steal it, but anyone could plug a charging cable once one is available. The adapter should remain locked until you arrive and unlock the car.

But I tried with a spare adapter and it’s the same: the car does not recognizes an adapter when plugged without a charger behind it, and it will not lock it, even if the car is locked. This baffles me a bit since it’s actually standard practice around the world to plug other people’s cars once yours is done in a public charging place.

You are describing a different scenario, where someone unplug the charging cable from your adapter while you’re charging, and yes there are aftermarket solutions for that.

The scenario here is the opposite. Instead of unplugging you, that person could leave his adapter inserted and locked into the port, and once you are done, you notice his car, unplug your and plugs him in. Of course this would only work in older charging stations where the power is always flowing (no login required)

I've had people unplug me :( I believe someone here had made an aftermarket adapter lock to prevent that.

When the adapter is in my car but it's not charging, it tries it's best to close the charge port door, slams it into the adapter, opens it and repeats. I can't bear that happening so I never do what you're describing and it's curious no one else reports that their charge door gets crazy thinking it needs to close.

You guys have more faith in people than I do. There's no way I'd ever let a stranger charge my car(or depend on someone doing it). I would never leave the adapter in the charge port with the charge port door open to the elements. I would never want someone messing around with anything to do with the charging of my car.

I'll also add this straight from the manual:
"However, in cold ambient temperatures below 41° F (5° C), the charge port remains unlocked whenever the vehicle is not charging, even when Model 3 is locked."

In my climate that is at least 4 months of the year. For anyone saying the adapters are locked into place.....well that's just not true. That thing is too expensive and valuable to me to risk someone walking off with.