Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave plugged in or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Listings
New to EV, just got my X last week and had a question on charging. If you leave the car plugged in for say a week while on vacation, would it keep the charge exactly at the set percentage, or does it let the car discharge to a certain rate and then turn back on, does it keep charging all the time holding it at that rate?. Will the car monitor it or do I have to do it from the app. Is it better to not keep plugged in? Trying to find out the best practice and not harm the battery.

Thanks

New to EV, just got my X last week and had a question on charging. If you leave the car plugged in for say a week while on vacation, would it keep the charge exactly at the set percentage, or does it let the car discharge to a certain rate and then turn back on, does it keep charging all the time holding it at that rate?. Will the car monitor it or do I have to do it from the app. Is it better to not keep plugged in? Trying to find out the best practice and not harm the battery.

Thanks

It will charge up to the rate you set .. there Is a certain amount of vampire drain that occurs .. so u May lose few percent a night ..the car if left plugged in will charge back to set amount .. the car will not automatically discharge .. it just occurs naturally from vampire drain .. leave it plugged in while on vacation but maybe set to lower amount like 70%

Leave it plugged in. The car will keep itself charged to the limit you have set. It starts charging when the battery is about 3% lower than your charge limit. If you are not using the car it should charge every 3-5 days as vampire losses accumulate to the 3% battery drop.

For long-term storage it may be better to set a lower charge limit, like 50%. That's supposed to help battery life to some extent.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
I have a 2016 MX P90D (CPO with low miles delivered in May of 2019 to me) and have parked it for winter in the garage due to the rough winters and snow fall we have here in Erie. It has 22 inch wheels and performance tires and I just decided to not risk it and drive my Jeep this winter. Its a good winter vehicle and I can be rough with it.

I read on the boards and in the manual that " a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla" so I went ahead and plugged it in to 110V (my 240V plug is on the other side of the garage).

It charged up to about 215 miles (where I set the limit) and has been sitting for a few weeks in the cold garage. Today it is showing about 185 miles. When I look at it on my phone, it automatically starts to charge and then stops almost immediately and i do not know why. I try to initiate charging via my phone and it is not successful.

One night recently, as I passed thru the garage with the Tesla key fob, I disconnected the Mobile Charger at the car and reconnected and it started to charge. Then it stopped a few minutes later.

I need to actually get in and drive it and do some further investigating but I am wondering if I have an on-board charger issue?

Thoughts? I will likely fool around with it this weekend.