Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

leave power cord "brick" plugged in all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge my Y to about 70% most evenings after I get home. I leave the cor coiled up on a hanger in the garage. Question is, what is the harm (or benefit?) to leaving the power cord "brick" plugged in? I never unplug my laptop charging cord brick. Here's picture of what I mean, in case power cord "brick" is not the right word...
tesla power brick.jpg

--JS

You should leave the 14-50 power cord pigtail plugged into the 14-50 receptacle; this type of receptacle is normally not designed for many plug/unplug cycles. What you should do is install a bracket to support the brick. The power plug is not designed to support the weight of the brick and the over time the plug will fail. Tesla sells a Mobile Connector Organizer that includes a hanger for the charging cable and a bracket for securing the brick.

Reactions: frankvb
Thanks, folks. I will leave the NEMA 14-50 plug and power cord brick plugged in. I recall some concern that leaving power bricks in drew and wasted a tiny amount of electricity, although that concern was about laptop computer power bricks. Also wonder whether the brick is harmed by being left plugged in permanently.

Tesla does sell a hanger for coiled power cord. 10 cents of plastic for $40! I bought similar 10 cents of plastic for $10 on Etsy and it looks great. Getting holder to support the brick shortly.

Thanks again,
--JS

Well you will lose tiny bits if from nothing else than the leds being constantly lit. I leave mine plugged in admittedly for convenience but that tiny bit of waste is probably more than offset by the cost of wear and tear on the plug and socket (IMHO).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I leave mine plug in all the time unless I go in a roadtrip where I put it in the car in case I need it. Sometime ago I could not reach the 32A for some reason. I unplugged and connect it again and has been working fine ever since even when it is very cold (20F).

I had
I leave mine plug in all the time unless I go in a roadtrip where I put it in the car in case I need it. Sometime ago I could not reach the 32A for some reason. I unplugged and connect it again and has been working fine ever since even when it is very cold (20F).
I had something like that happen once or twice. I did not unplug but stopped the charging and restarted in the app. I also think it was cold. My recollection is that I waited a minute or two thinking it was cold and would power up, but only was an amp or two. When I restarted, it pretty quickly went up to 30 or so.

I haven't unplugged mine yet. But then again in these unprecedented times<g> I've put gas in the Outback once since March and I think filled the Camry Hybrid twice since March. I've only got a little over 1,000 miles on the MY since picking up 9/8.

Thanks, folks. I will leave the NEMA 14-50 plug and power cord brick plugged in. I recall some concern that leaving power bricks in drew and wasted a tiny amount of electricity, although that concern was about laptop computer power bricks. Also wonder whether the brick is harmed by being left plugged in permanently.

Tesla does sell a hanger for coiled power cord. 10 cents of plastic for $40! I bought similar 10 cents of plastic for $10 on Etsy and it looks great. Getting holder to support the brick shortly.

Thanks again,
--JS

I bought a plumbing part to support the brick and a hook to hang the power cord from HomeDepot . Total cost is less than $5, and they work perfectly!