Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave the car from passenger door, car remains open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on firmware 2019.4.3 but it has been happening for some time now:
If, for some reasons, I park my car and I leave the car from the passenger door, the car remains open.
No matter if you close it by using the fob, or if you open/close it using the app, the car remains open (the handles are out and the lights indefinitely on).
The only way to close it is by opening and then closing the driver door.

Can such a smart car be so dumb?

Reactions: f205v
I
I am on firmware 2019.4.3 but it has been happening for some time now:
If, for some reasons, I park my car and I leave the car from the passenger door, the car remains open.
No matter if you close it by using the fob, or if you open/close it using the app, the car remains open (the handles are out and the lights indefinitely on).
The only way to close it is by opening and then closing the driver door.

Can such a smart car be so dumb?
I have the same issue every single day as I have to get out of the passenger side after I've parked up in the garage. I have to open and close the driver door, lift up my butt, wait for the car to go off, then climb out of the passenger side. Any resolution would be great.

Not sure if this is still a problem, but it used to be, when the passenger exits through driver's side door - my daughter used to do this because she didn't want to get out into the rain here in Seattle and the car in the garage is parked right up against the wall. The car stays unlocked. Even when locked via fob it will unlock itself when you touch the handles, or sometimes all on its own will just power on, HVAC, screens and all, and stay on all night. While like this, you can get in the car and drive it without a key (until the next time you put it in "park").

I had the same experience a few month ago.
Parked with the driver door very close to a wall, and was forced to get out from passenger door.
The car refused to properly lock.
I had to climb back in, slightly open the driver door (at risk of touching the wall), close it, get out again from passenger door and finally I could lock it with the keyfob.

I also sent an email to support, with "escalate", telling them about the quirk, but got no answer.

There are other ways the car state machine gets all confused. I parked once at a Subway shop, noticed that the car was awefully close over a curb so went back into the car, pressed the break to turn on the car and to raise the suspension, once raised, I exited, locked the car via fob. When I came out of the shop, my car was unlocked and on, headlights on (it was night time), media playing. Tesla really doesn't seem to test the car in any way other than the way Elon drives it, nor are their state machines fuzz tested apparently.

Reactions: shellderp
My driver side door/window was broken at one point and I had to resort to entering and exiting the car using the passenger side door.

If I recall correctly, just shut down the car from the main center screen (full power down/turn off car or something to that effect), close the passenger door and use your fob to lock the car. That should do the trick.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My driver side door/window was broken at one point and I had to resort to entering and exiting the car using the passenger side door.

If I recall correctly, just shut down the car from the main center screen (full power down/turn off car or something to that effect), close the passenger door and use your fob to lock the car. That should do the trick.
I think it's easier to just open the driver door and raise your butt. Lol

Guys, you’re all missing the point here.
If I realise that the car is going to remain open, I just need to get back on the car and open/close the driver door.
The problem is when you DON’T realise that, because you get out of the car and press the fob to close, thinking it’s going to do the job.

I hope somebody at Tesla is reading this so that the issue can be addressed, because it’s kinda nightmarish at the moment.