Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving a 3 parked long term is great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
So I just flew in from a 10 day trip. I left my AWD LR 3 parked in a self-parking lot. I did the usual power saving tricks, disabled mobile access, turned off data sharing, manually powered the car off.

I left my 3 reading 230 miles remaining. When I came back, it said 221 miles remaining.

Yeah, this is pretty great. Almost no vampire drain to speak of after 10 days parked! Much better than the vampire drain on the S 90D I had previously!

I don't need to worry about leaving my 3 parked at all when I go on trips. This is very nice peace of mind.

In early January I left my Model 3 in a covered parking lot near the airport for a week. Weirdest thing, I checked it everyday , I was a bit worried about vampire drain but the range actually went up 5 or 6 miles over the course of the week!

In early January I left my Model 3 in a covered parking lot near the airport for a week. Weirdest thing, I checked it everyday , I was a bit worried about vampire drain but the range actually went up 5 or 6 miles over the course of the week!
You must have THE vampire car that's sucking juice from all the other Tesla's!

With great power comes great responsibility...

That's vampire gain. I've seen that, too.

Most people look at their power level when they park after work (after the heat of the day) and then see it again first thing in the morning (after the cold of the night.) Even if there was no power drawn, you'd see decreased battery capacity if it's much colder in the morning, and that's common in winter.

I work from home and can't charge where my car is parked, so I'd see the opposite sometimes... I'd see the level of charge in the morning when it's bone-chilling cold, because I fetch my headphones from the car before taking the dogs for their morning walk or something, then don't touch the car all day, and then go back in the evening to go drive somewhere for dinner... And see that it picked up range while sitting there all day!

It's a matter of reading it warm, then cold (vampire drain) or cold, then warm (vampire gain.)