Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving car at a shop. Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to schedule an appointment to get my stock wheels powder coated. Called a few places and they all said it would be a couple of days to complete.

What's the experience like leaving a Tesla with a third party shop? Do I leave the car in Valet mode? Anything I need to communicate with them if they haven't worked on Teslas much?

Thanks in advance.

From the manual:
Valet Mode
When Model 3 is in Valet mode, the following restrictions apply:
  • Speed is limited to 113 km/h.
  • Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
  • Front trunk and glovebox are locked.
  • Home and Work locations are not available in the navigation system.
  • Voice commands are disabled.
  • Autopilot convenience features are disabled.
  • The Allow Mobile Access setting cannot be changed
  • HomeLink (if available in your market region) is not accessible.
  • Driver Profiles are not accessible.
  • The touchscreen does not display the list of keys that can access Model 3 (see Managing Keys).
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled. When Model 3 is in Valet mode, you cannot pair new Bluetooth devices or view or delete existing paired devices. However, if a Bluetooth-paired device or a known Wi-Fi network is within range, Model 3 connects to it.

Last edited:
From the manual:
Valet Mode
When Model 3 is in Valet mode, the following restrictions apply:
  • Speed is limited to 113 km/h.
  • Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
  • Front trunk and glovebox are locked.
  • Home and Work locations are not available in the navigation system.
  • Voice commands are disabled.
  • Autopilot convenience features are disabled.
  • The Allow Mobile Access setting cannot be changed
  • HomeLink (if available in your market region) is not accessible.
  • Driver Profiles are not accessible.
  • The touchscreen does not display the list of keys that can access Model 3 (see Managing Keys).
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled. When Model 3 is in Valet mode, you cannot pair new Bluetooth devices or view or delete existing paired devices. However, if a Bluetooth-paired device or a known Wi-Fi network is within range, Model 3 connects to it.

So when you get your car back, you need to access your car via key card since bluetooth is disabled and phone key no longer works?

I would like to have a service that polls the car's position regularly, and reports if it is moving beyond a defined distance from the shop.
It should also log the position, speed aso.
It should warn if the connection with the car is lost.
Note: The shop may set it in service mode, so it might not always work.

Btw: Always take pictures and video of the whole car before and after, and take a screenshot of the odometer.

And yes, I always put it in valet mode.

Reactions: Villainthrpist
Just picked up the car to have the front bumper and all headlights ppf and was pretty straightforward. Enabled valet mode, gave them my keycard. All went well. Smoother than when I dropped the car off at Tesla's repair center, lol.
The details above say valet mode disables access to the frunk. Wouldn’t the PPF shop need the frunk open to wrap the edges?