Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving car in cold weather - 25 degrees for 72 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I leave model a charged at 250 miles when I return three days later should I have any issues with car starting? It will be in an open air covered garage with no charging. Thanks
no you won't have any problems with the car's starting up, you might lose considerable range depending on how cold it gets, 25+ miles, and initially you'll probably not have any regeneration for the first 10-20 miles of driving so be careful with the one pedal driving.

From the owner manual:

Do not expose Model S to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time. I would say if truly -25 you are pushing the limit. I left my care in sub 0 for a week, but it never was that cold

It should be fine, but probably will get terrible Wh per mile numbers until the battery warms up. Be sure to have a lot of extra charge to get home or where ever you'll charge, it's terrifying to see the battery charge drop so fast when it's warming up the cold battery.

I think he means 25F, not -25F
The thread title is unclear, it all depends on whether the space left between "-" and "25" was deliberate and if so does that mean that the 25 value is above zero.

If the OP is in Boston and his car is in Boston it seems unlikely that the temperature could be 25 below zero for days at a time. The forecast high/low in Boston tomorrow is 31/21.

So I would say it will be okay to leave the car for three days unplugged in that temperature range but it will certainly lose range. So either leave it at a high state of charge or plug it in, even to 120V.