Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving charge port open....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model 3 next to mine today in the underground car park chargers, was parked with it's charge port left open. I did the obvious thing, obviously (!), and unplugged mine and plugged him in.

How was he able to leave his locked car with it's port open? Neat trick.

Not sure how that was done either.

With the car locked, you can use the Tesla app and open the charge port door by tapping the "lightning bolt" icon. The car will remain locked. I just did this with my car sitting in my driveway. However, it only stays open for 2 minutes.

I installed my J1772 adapter into the charge port and locked the car. The charge port door closed and then reversed open after a couple of seconds (like it should). I removed the J1772 adapter and left. The charge port door again remained open for 2 minutes and then closed.

Maybe the owner was watching you unplug and opened the charge port door remotely and you plugged him in in less than two minutes?

That would be a neat trick. A car tell another car its done charging, then relays to the owner of the second car. That owner sends a charge request to the fully charged car owner to plug in. When charged owner unplugs the other cars port opens up.