Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving headlights on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I had a tesla fail last night. I had the headlights in on mode to see something in my garage before I went inside. Apparently I never put the lights back in auto so they stayed on all night <insert face palm here>. Luckily my car was plugged in so it didn't run either of my batteries down. Funny the lights didn't show as on in the tesla app. Always learning I guess...

Well I had a tesla fail last night. I had the headlights in on mode to see something in my garage before I went inside. Apparently I never put the lights back in auto so they stayed on all night <insert face palm here>. Luckily my car was plugged in so it didn't run either of my batteries down. Funny the lights didn't show as on in the tesla app. Always learning I guess...
If it's any consolation Bjorn Nyland leaves the lights on all night when he's in "camper mode," and has never run down the battery.

Well I had a tesla fail last night. I had the headlights in on mode to see something in my garage before I went inside...Luckily my car was plugged in so it didn't run either of my batteries down.
You could leave your headlights on for multiple weeks and still have some battery range left, unless you started out at a very low state of charge.

That's odd. It was foggy today and my lights did not automatically come on because it was pretty bright and the wipers were off. So, for the first time, I turned them on manually. I got out of the car to run in somewhere quickly and the car was beeping at me because they were on. I ignored it, I shut the door and the lights went off. When I got back in a minute later, they had reset to auto. I thought that was a normal thing. And I know for a clear fact that I had them set to "on", because I looked at the controls screen as I was getting out of the car.

That's odd. It was foggy today and my lights did not automatically come on because it was pretty bright and the wipers were off. So, for the first time, I turned them on manually. I got out of the car to run in somewhere quickly and the car was beeping at me because they were on. I ignored it, I shut the door and the lights went off. When I got back in a minute later, they had reset to auto. I thought that was a normal thing. And I know for a clear fact that I had them set to "on", because I looked at the controls screen as I was getting out of the car.
You are correct, this has happened to me on more than one occasion

This was my understanding on how the system works as well.

Another thing I have done is after getting out of the car, use your foot to 'start' it (but don't sit in the seat), you can then close the door and lock the car (I used the phone app). Stuff will stay on (including headlights) for 30 minutes I think