TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leaving headlights on

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitecotton, Mar 11, 2016.

1. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

Well I had a tesla fail last night. I had the headlights in on mode to see something in my garage before I went inside. Apparently I never put the lights back in auto so they stayed on all night <insert face palm here>. Luckily my car was plugged in so it didn't run either of my batteries down. Funny the lights didn't show as on in the tesla app. Always learning I guess...

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

If it's any consolation Bjorn Nyland leaves the lights on all night when he's in "camper mode," and has never run down the battery.

3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

The headlights are something like 100W together. You'll only lose a couple of miles of range leaving them on overnight. If your main battery is full, it'll take about a month to drain it with the headlights.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You could leave your headlights on for multiple weeks and still have some battery range left, unless you started out at a very low state of charge.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I watched three of Bjorn's "camper mode" videos last night. I was kind of dozing off but I think he turned off the headlights but the DRLs stay on.

6. Lex

Lex Member

You cannot turn them off, they stay on, sadly.

I am thinking about cutting some black static vinyl for darker overnights while in the back on the air matress :cool:

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

That's odd. It was foggy today and my lights did not automatically come on because it was pretty bright and the wipers were off. So, for the first time, I turned them on manually. I got out of the car to run in somewhere quickly and the car was beeping at me because they were on. I ignored it, I shut the door and the lights went off. When I got back in a minute later, they had reset to auto. I thought that was a normal thing. And I know for a clear fact that I had them set to "on", because I looked at the controls screen as I was getting out of the car.

8. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

You are correct, this has happened to me on more than one occasion

9. Roamer

Roamer Member

How did you do it. I can't figure out how to get them to stay on when I leave the car. Sometimes I want them to stay on and have not yet figured out how to get them to stay on when no one is in the car.

10. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

This was my understanding on how the system works as well.

11. Lex

Lex Member

Put the parking brake on and leaving it in N (not P or it will go off).

12. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

Another thing I have done is after getting out of the car, use your foot to 'start' it (but don't sit in the seat), you can then close the door and lock the car (I used the phone app). Stuff will stay on (including headlights) for 30 minutes I think