Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving hitch installed all the time without anything attached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leave mine attached at all times. I occasionally bring my bikes along so no point in taking it out. Besides, it shows that an electric car can tow things too. It also provides a bit of cushion in case of an accident. I'm thinking about getting the shock absorber thing shown in a recent thread. It does get faded/weathered though.

Same issue for me as I have a bumper guard on mine now. Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

Below are pictures of what is up there and size of the opening.

nXPe2Rm.jpg

yGv07zW.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
I leave mine on all summer because I'm using my bike rack a few times a week.

In the winter, I take it off and put the cover back on. Keeps most of the winter salt/dirt out. I've done this now for 2 years and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: ModelX
In an accident it is actually better not to have the hitch in. The bumper is designed to dissipate the energy during an accident. The hitch is rigid will transfer the energy directly into the frame of the car which can lead to more damage and shock inside the cabin. It also acts as a battering ram to the car behind.

In an accident it is actually better not to have the hitch in. The bumper is designed to dissipate the energy during an accident. The hitch is rigid will transfer the energy directly into the frame of the car which can lead to more damage and shock inside the cabin. It also acts as a battering ram to the car behind.
You can use one of these absorption hitch bumpers as well.
Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light