TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Leaving hitch installed all the time without anything attached

Discussion in 'Model X' started by unpollo2, Apr 4, 2018.

1. unpollo2

unpollo2 Member

besides the cosmetic looks is there any issues with leaving it attached?

does it matter if water/debris gets in that little area of the bumper?

• Helpful x 1
  2. teethdood

teethdood Member

I leave mine attached at all times. I occasionally bring my bikes along so no point in taking it out. Besides, it shows that an electric car can tow things too. It also provides a bit of cushion in case of an accident. I'm thinking about getting the shock absorber thing shown in a recent thread. It does get faded/weathered though.

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

• Helpful x 1
  4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I leave mine on all summer because I'm using my bike rack a few times a week.

In the winter, I take it off and put the cover back on. Keeps most of the winter salt/dirt out. I've done this now for 2 years and haven't had any issues.

• Like x 1
  5. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz Fidelius Family Office

I'll admit that it bothers me to have that gaping hole there all the time. I'd like to see a cover for that area that could be used to leave the hitch on permanently without too much crud getting in.

6. idoco

idoco Member

I leave mine on all the time. I ended up cutting a space in the door so the hitch can stay in place with the door always on. Also remounted the trailer 7-pin connector to it mounted to the bottom panel and is always accessible. And links with extensions to the chain mounting points. So no need ever to open the door.

Similar to what was done here:
    Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

• Love x 1
  7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I always leave my hitch attached to my cars as it is a pain to remove. No downside and if you ever get rear ended you may appreciate the extra rigidity.

8. dpac

dpac New Member

In an accident it is actually better not to have the hitch in. The bumper is designed to dissipate the energy during an accident. The hitch is rigid will transfer the energy directly into the frame of the car which can lead to more damage and shock inside the cabin. It also acts as a battering ram to the car behind.

9. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

You can use one of these absorption hitch bumpers as well.
    Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light