Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving key in car inside garage, huge battery drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure this have been documented before. Proximity to keys prevents deep sleep.

I store my keys in a drawer in my house 20 feet from my car. I think others have used those metalized RF bags to isolate the keys from the car when they store their keys close to the car.

To be fair, users on this forum are also curious if update version 2020.12 is causing the drain.

Since I just received my car in March, I can't tell if it's the update or the fact that I keep my key in the garage at the time. I moved my key to another area in the house and am still observing a 2-3% drain per night.

Just my observations so far.

Last edited:
No problem with 2020.12 compared to any other version. I’ve had issues with faraday bags and them being close to the car. They leak somewhat. Be sure the car is not awake in any case. Don’t assume the bag is ‘airtight’.Try at least 20’ away to be sure (and reboot the car for the heck of it).

This or seeing a thread from you with a title "My car locks with my phone inside, then goes to deep sleep".
The car has to periodically check on your phone's location or bluetooth connection to keep the doors remain unlocked. Once it thinks it can lock the doors then it's allowed to go to sleep.

am still observing a 2-3% drain per night.
Then your does not enter „deep sleep“ (or not for very long).
My car does („2020 MX“) and it has a drain of less than 1% per 24 hours (thanks to corona, the car has not moved an inch for over a week).

If i keep my car from preventing enterering deep sleep, by polling it every 9 minutes* with a third party app, I get the same behavior as you see.

* 9 minutes because the car goes to deep sleep after 10 minutes, shutting down it‘s WiFi connection. It only keeps the LTE modem in a state to be able to receive the „wake up SMS“ (which cannot enter my underground garage).

Then your does not enter „deep sleep“ (or not for very long).
My car does („2020 MX“) and it has a drain of less than 1% per 24 hours (thanks to corona, the car has not moved an inch for over a week).

If i keep my car from preventing enterering deep sleep, by polling it every 9 minutes* with a third party app, I get the same behavior as you see.

* 9 minutes because the car goes to deep sleep after 10 minutes, shutting down it‘s WiFi connection. It only keeps the LTE modem in a state to be able to receive the „wake up SMS“ (which cannot enter my underground garage).

Thank you sir very helpful. Without the TeslaFi app, how can I determine if my car went to deep sleep? I have a faraday bag arriving this weekend.

Additionally, is there a way to disconnect from my home WiFi? Could this be a factor at all?

I do not open the app at all now.

Without the TeslaFi app, how can I determine if my car went to deep sleep?

By leaving it alone. By letting it do what it was designed to do.
If the car is not kept „busy“ somehow, it will go from sleep mode to deep sleep mode after 10 minutes. When entering deep sleep, it will shutdown it‘s WiFi all by itself (you don‘t need to do anything).
The rest I explained in my previous post.

You don‘t poke your partner every X minutes, asking „are you asleep yet honey“ do you?
No!
Same goes for the car. Leave it be. Let it sleep and your vampire drain will normalize.

Reactions: jboy210
I use the Teslafi app and generally, no problem for my 2017 model X to sleep. However, there have been brief periods (for a few weeks at a time) when the car had trouble with insomnia. Some of the reasons remain a mystery, but did self resolve. A few times (especially after service appointments) I found that the Always Connected setting had been clicked on. That definitely causes a huge drain.

I found that the Always Connected setting had been clicked on. That definitely causes a huge drain.

be careful. The newer cars do not have the „always connected“ function anymore. Their „sleep mode“ is different. Mixing both generations in the same discussion about vampire drain and sleepmodes confuses people as they might try to apply tips and tricks that work in one generation in the other (and then don‘t understand why „it“ does not work as expected)

My car keys are strategically stored near the door to the garage and because this is less than 8 feet the MX senses it. Not wanting to put the fob somewhere else I instead got a faraday pouch.

Those not familiar a faraday (pouch, box, case, etc) blocks all electronic signals. This works on laptops, cellphones and key fobs. I put the key fob in the pouch and MX locks itself

My car was up all night despite hte key being about 10 feet away and behind a wall. I happened to have my new license plate in the mail, I just placed the key underneath it and it seems to work. Car's been sleeping for 13 hours straight. I think in the future, I am going to grab a plastic container, line it in aluminum foil and make my own box.
upload_2020-4-8_13-52-9.png

ElectricSteve -- thanks for your recommendations. Storing the car keys on another floor in the house yielded only a 1% drain overnight. Once my faraday bag comes in I hope to be able to store the key in the garage for convenience sake.

Does anyone think the Spotify app could be preventing the car from sleeping?

Just started using TeslaFi and my car has been idle for 14 hours with 3 sleep attempts.

Tried troubleshooting via TeslaFi recommendations including resetting password and token.

Any input is appreciated at this point.

Attachments

• 95FDE36D-D206-4AA0-8B2E-83F5E1CDAAB6.jpeg
    95FDE36D-D206-4AA0-8B2E-83F5E1CDAAB6.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 51