Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Model 3 Parked for 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to be out of the country for the next 3 months and plan to leave my Model 3 parked in my closed garage for the whole time.

It’s in San Francisco, so temperature wise there won’t be any extremes. Garage seems to stay at 68F at all times.

Now I’ve asked my neighbor to come plug the car in overnight once a week to keep the battery happy.

Should I ask him to drive it once a month or so too? Or is it ok to just sit still and hang out?

Any tips for keeping Tesla happy and Parked for a few months is appreciated!

...once a week to keep the battery happy...

My reading of owner's manual is: There's no advantage in keeping it unplugged for that long if you can keep it plugged.

upload_2018-9-19_21-15-43.png

• Love
Reactions: RScottyL
Thank you both. Will keep the car plugged in and will advise my neighbor to re-plug it in when he drives it.

Is once a month ok to take it for a spin? Is there any actual harm if it just sat for 3 months?

No harm in leaving it parked for 3 months plugged in. Why give your neighbor the chance to scratch or dent it?

BUT what about lightning ?
If it is even drizzling my wife makes me unplug the car.

From power surges? How could you possibly be always monitoring the car and disconnecting it in the event of a power surge?

The charger built into the car is designed to protect itself against surges. If you use HPWC this also has surge protection circuitry in it. As a "last" resort (before doing something crazy like unplugging it all the time) you can install a surge arrest device in your breaker panel that the car charging circuit is hooked up to.

I’m going to be out of the country for the next 3 months and plan to leave my Model 3 parked in my closed garage for the whole time.

It’s in San Francisco, so temperature wise there won’t be any extremes. Garage seems to stay at 68F at all times.

Now I’ve asked my neighbor to come plug the car in overnight once a week to keep the battery happy.

Should I ask him to drive it once a month or so too? Or is it ok to just sit still and hang out?

Any tips for keeping Tesla happy and Parked for a few months is appreciated!

Maybe you should charge him $40 each month for the opportunity to drive the car;)

Edmunds recommendation for 30 day car storage:

How To Prep Your Car for Long-Term Storage | Edmunds

Among it is: Don't use the parking brake. Use a tire stopper called chock instead. For Tesla, I think its equivalent is to go to Service screen and activate "tow" mode to free the brakes. (To prevent brake pads from fusing into rotors).

But tow mode only works for 20 minutes; from the user manual:

Caution: Transport Mode automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied if Model 3 is rolled faster than 5 mph (8 km/h), 12V power is low, or if Transport Mode has been continuously enabled for 20 minutes. Model 3 sounds its horn to warn you that Transport Mode is about to cancel.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam