TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leaving MX at home for several weeks - plug in or unplugged in garage?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Waldek, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Waldek

Waldek Member

#1 Waldek, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
    If one is going to leave the MX unused for several weeks, what is the best procedure?. I wish I could take her with us! Anyway, what are your recommendations? Leave her plugged in to the HPWC or unplugged and charged? Any suggestions appreciated.

I tried to look for post that answers such question in MS forum or here but couldn't find any ideas... anyone came across and can recommend good advise? Thanks in advance and sorry if this post is a duplicate of the one I couldn't find :)

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Battery Reminder.jpg

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Waldek

Waldek Member

Thanks a lot! That's all I needed to know :)

4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

You're welcome. Also, you should probably set the slider to about 60%.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. grommet

grommet Member

That's ultimately more important. For "storage", the battery is best left charged near the half-way point... like 60%. The absolutely worst would be 100%.

• Informative x 1
  6. Waldek

Waldek Member

good to know! I will follow this direction! I have it set for daily use at 88% (it was by default like this when I got her) so I need to slide it down to 60% last day I drive before leaving.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

The best thing would be if the car would be driven here and there. I'd be happy to volunteer! ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Unless you need that extra 8% on a daily basis, I wouldn't go past 80% for daily use. Lithium batteries last longest when kept held around 50%, and when cycled around the mid-range, rather than the lower or upper ends.

• Informative x 1
  9. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

My average drive is roughly 50 miles so should I just keep my X on 50% when I get it? It is a 90D?

10. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#10 Canuck, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    No. 50% would only be for storage and even then I'd recommend 60%.

Think of it this way: 50% is the ideal place to cycle around. So, as an example, if you charged it to 75%, then at the end of the day it should be at 25%, since that is ideal for that amount of travel. That's the perfect cycle around 50%.

Once you get your car, you will be able to figure out what those numbers are for you. Change your car from miles to percentages and it helps to find your ideal settings. I find it much better to have the battery display in percentages than miles (or km here in Canada).

Also, don't fret it. Get your car, set it to 80% when you get it, since that is more than you need, then play with this stuff as you enjoy the car. The worst is charging to 100% and keeping it there, but all this other fine tuning stuff is not that big of a deal.

11. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I've charged my Model S to 80% pretty much daily with minor fluctuation. Most days it doesn't dip below 50% because I just don't put many daily miles on it. Road trip miles include Supercharging to 100% from time to time when needed. I have lost about 5 rated miles in 32k driven miles over 2 years.

I wouldn't be terribly worried about it.

12. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I agree. Still, why not set your slider down to about 70% for daily use if you don't need the extra range?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"What can the User Do?
    Environmental conditions, not cycling alone, govern the longevity of lithium-ion batteries. The worst situation is keeping a fully charged battery at elevated temperatures. Battery packs do not die suddenly, but the runtime gradually shortens as the capacity fades.
    Lower charge voltages prolong battery life and electric vehicles and satellites take advantage of this. Similar provisions could also be made for consumer devices, but these are seldom offered; planned obsolescence takes care of this."

13. ohmman

I probably should. It's just nice for those random 2x a month days when I do need 70%+. But maybe I'll change this tonight.

If I'm stranded on the side of the road someday having run out of charge - I'll be shaking my fist at the sky and crying "Canuuuuuuuuck!" <overhead camera pans out rapidly with slight spin>

• Funny x 5
  14. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Ha! Okay, please don't change it!

15. danbucks

danbucks Member

This must be your first EV? You will soon learn an innate reflex to "plug in" ... if a connected Model X/S is a happy Model X/S, a happy owner is an owner with the car plugged in!

w.r.t. charge: for everyday use, the Tesla rep. was quite adamant that the "90%" setting was just fine, no need to drop further. We don't know where Tesla actually puts the gauge relative to actual battery levels... so far, I am following their "just leave it at 90" unless I need every last mile.

16. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I was told by Tesla to keep it in the middle of the "Daily Driving Range" unless more is needed. Also, if 90% is the "just leave it at" number, then there would be no need for the "Daily Driving Range" shown in our vehicles, of which 90% is at the extreme top. As for actual battery levels, both the top and bottom are locked out, making it a wash.

17. ohmman

I've adjusted my setting based on Canuck's recommendation. Actually, I adjusted it so I have the chance to yell at him. But, I do think it's good advice. Treat your battery well, even if you plan to trade it in - that's a resource that deserves respect.

• Funny x 1
  18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Plug in!

19. danbucks

danbucks Member

[palm on forehead] OK I scoured this forum and Tesla's and the majority of the [second-hand] statements from Tesla is to set it "wherever you like" in the daily driving range. 90% is fine. lower is fine.... funny the manual itself makes no recommendation.

So why the range [within daily driving region] setting at all, if that is true? I can think of two:
    1) Conspiracy: welcome to the Tesla beta club! Charge your car to the setting you like ... Tesla collects data and then after-the-fact finds out who lessened battery life, and who didn't.
    2) Energy efficiency: perhaps you only want to pull K kwh (or miles) out of a particular charge setup, no more.... e.g. from your friends house.

20. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

That's some interesting reasoning going on there. But instead of making things up, why not just look at the link to the research I posted above? The studies don't lie: the lower charge voltages prolong battery life! Now, why is Tesla not concrete on this issue like you want them to be? The answer is very simple...

Press the battery icon in your car. Note the "Trip" area that starts after 90%. The "Daily Driving" range is lower than 90%. Why does Tesla want you below 90% unless on a trip? Because lithium ion batteries degrade less when they are not fully charged:

http://powerelectronics.com/site-files/powerelectronics.com/files/archive/powerelectronics.com/portable_power_management/battery_charger_ics/804PET22li-ion-battery-life.pdf

Now, why doesn't Tesla tell spell it right out, like you want them to? That's because when a car has different charge levels the EPA averages the two levels. This was done on the 2011-2012 Leaf and the 2012-2014 RAV4 EV, to name a couple of examples. Nissan removed the 80% charge option in response, and sacrificed battery health for higher EPA numbers.

So Tesla is being extra careful not to fall into that trap. In fact, I just slid the slider on my phone to 100% to read Telsa warning, and I note it is now gone! My phone is Android so I don't know if it's gone on Apple too. I used to slide it 100% a lot just before leaving to my cabin (before they put a Supecharger in Hope)and I constantly got that warning, and for good reason too. However, Tesla probably removed it to avoid an EPA hit on range.

Wow, I'm having a Deja Vu here!.... Info: When Balancing Occurs, and Pack Maintenance

You're the only one exception here who must charge to 100% daily! ;)

• Funny x 1