Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving my S unplugged at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally speaking, no its not going to be a big deal - especially since it looks like you got the 85kW.

However, if you have a very long drive to work/home then it is possible that vampire drain during that time could affect you because of the long hours... but that seems like a real long shot. I don't have much a problem with vampire drain (search forums or wait a few minutes for other experiences) but I would imagine you'd loose more than a few rated miles while at work.

My wife and I carpool a 50-60 mile round trip Monday - Friday for the past 8 months and have never needed to charge at work. We charge nightly up to about 220 rated miles and typically get home with 140-150 rated miles left. Spirited driving accounts for the greater than normal loss of rated miles. :) We've also forgot to charge a few times and driven a second day to return with no less than 80 miles rated.

Enjoy your new car!

For what it's worth, my car only seems to lose about a mile of range per day while it's unplugged, at least in mild to warm weather. I suspect it'll drain faster when it gets colder. It was delivered new with 5.0 firmware (1.35.102 I think). I've started charging my battery to 50% most of the time, rather than 90%, because I have a short commute (~10 miles round trip). And I don't even plug it in every night.

Good luck with your final day of waiting! It's tough but totally worth it!

I work 10-12 hr days 4 days/ week and cannot plug in. Is that a big deal?

Not at all. I leave mine not plugged in at work even when there are 24-32 hour days. The idea of plugging it in every night is so that you will have a full tank every morning and so that you won't run the battery down so low that you start to get power limited. Unless your commute is 200 miles, not plugging in is a normal thing to do.

If you don't have a long commute, then no need to worry (especially with 5.0). As long as you have range, there is no rule you have to charge everyday. Heck if you drove small distances, one could probably almost go a week w/o charging.

If you don't have a long commute, then no need to worry (especially with 5.0). As long as you have range, there is no rule you have to charge everyday. Heck if you drove small distances, one could probably almost go a week w/o charging.

I don't own a garage and my daily commute is relatively short, so I've been going about a week between charging. I haven't had the car for too long though. My S85 came with 5.0 and I lose about a mile to vampire drain overnight and another mile during work.

It depends. Assuming you will have enough range to get back home even with detours, vampire loss and the like, it is fine. I leave my car unplugged at work every day. My commute is about 120 mile round trip. I've once done two days (240+ driving, normal charge, not range charge) on a single charge without any ill effects (well, there were emotions, but the car was fine). I've had the car since December, so we are talking a small sample size of 10 months, but for a Model S that is almost ancient.

With firmware 4.5, I left the car unplugged (in my garage) for 8 days earlier this month and lost about 55 miles.

@Larry, since you are getting your car soon (tomorrow?), you'll have firmware 5.0 where the "vampire loss" is much less - barely 1-2 miles overnight? So, nothing to worry about.

Is it better for long term battery life to be plugged in when not in use as it says in the owners manual? For me range isnt an issue

It's thought that the intent of that statement is so that the car won't drain to zero, and that it gets charged every day. Most of the time when the car sits plugged in, it's not doing anything through the charge port so there's no effective difference between plugged in and not plugged in. However, if it's plugged in, then preheating and pre-cooling will come from the wall rather than from the battery. Plugging it in at work is really a non-issue unless you have a very long commute (or the electricity is free).

Why would you doubt something that is written in the owner's manual? Wouldn't you want to follow Tesla's instructions? LOL

I have left my car parked and plugged in while away for an extended time. I have a dedicated meter on the EV circuit, so I can see exactly what the car is doing. In my case, the car only draws power from the wall every 48 hours to "top up" what was lost to vampire drain. In other words, it wouldn't matter if it were left unplugged for 48 hours because it's not drawing any power anyway. I would further argue that you could safely leave it unplugged for much longer.

Having said that, if there is power available, I will plug it in (I mean, why not?).

Hi Larry, I thought I'd add my data point: I have an S60 with software v4.5, and I commute round-trip 94 miles daily with it. I do not plug it in at work, and leave it 10-12 hours, sometimes longer. I always get around 65-75 miles left when I get home after work.

I have not noticed any battery degradation since I got the car in January.