Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving People in the Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - posts merged from "Help!"

Big problem today, caused tears and all kinds!

ok, was out with the mrs and the baby, I was driving, my phone has the key that unlocked the car etc. Parked up and I’m popping into the shop, leaving mrs and baby in the car. I left my phone in the car so that the car thinks I’m still there and won’t arm the alarm, mrs used her app to lock the car and keep them safe in there.

I came out of the shop and mrs is standing outside the car, she’s crying, baby crying, car alarm had apparently gone off with them in it.

ok, what went wrong, how do I prevent that from happening again cos my nerves can’t cope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should the alarm have armed, even with my phone still in the car?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be leaving my phone in the car, just so the mrs and baby can stay there but I don’t want the car to be insecure with them in it at the same time and lord knows I don’t want the damn alarm going off!

Should the alarm have armed, even with my phone still in the car?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be leaving my phone in the car, just so the mrs and baby can stay there but I don’t want the car to be insecure with them in it at the same time and lord knows I don’t want the damn alarm going off!
I have done the same many times with no problem.
The issue may be that she used the app to lock the car which you would normally only do if outside of the car I guess that set the alarm. If you want to lock yourself in then the lock option at the top right of the screen would have been a better option and may have prevented this?
As others have said Camp mode is the safest option. There is an issue with that as well though. I left the kids in the car while I paid for parking and they put it in Camp mode. When I came back they got out and we went to the beach for 6 hours. 6 hours where the AC was running and the car was unlocked!!

Dog or camp mode!

I have learnt the hard way, Left my 70 year old mother inlaw and 5 year old son (who was fast asleep) in the car while i was unpacking a picnic for us at the park. Next thing i know my phone starts buzzing that the car alarm was going off and in the distance (around 200m away) i could hear music blaring out the car and a 5 year old screaming :/. Could not stop the alram via the phone so had to run back quickly (took me all of 19.18secs) to the car and it stopped. Not sure if there is a way to stop it via the phone?
This is exactly the nightmare I had today, minus the picnic

Putting dog mode and camp mode aside, you’d think that Tesla would have added something feature wise, whereby this common scenario can be avoided, you know like I dunno “shop mode” or something, something where the driver is popping out, leaving his passengers/loved ones with the car and wants them to be secure in there until his return?

If someone in you car has a phone or key fob on them that is paired with the car, it should not auto lock. I use to regularly wait for long periods in the car as a passenger with no driver and never had any issues. I would have had my phone on me.

You can also unlock the car from the screen (lock icon on top row), but I am not sure how long this lasts and what effect this has on the alarm. It will however also unlock the boot...

If someone in you car has a phone or key fob on them that is paired with the car, it should not auto lock. I use to regularly wait for long periods in the car as a passenger with no driver and never had any issues. I would have had my phone on me.

You can also unlock the car from the screen (lock icon on top row), but I am not sure how long this lasts and what effect this has on the alarm. It will however also unlock the boot...
Mrs had her phone on her and it’s linked to the car for her. She locked the car from her phone, as I didn’t want to lock the car with my phone, that would mean the car thought I was outside it. Mrs was in the back with the baby. Alarm went off like a firework after she locked the doors from her app.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
If the front seat passenger keeps their seatbelt on, the car doesn’t auto lock and the entertainment keeps playing. Doesn’t need to be a paired phone in the car.

Works better for me than leaving the driver door on the first click if I’m nipping into a shop

If the front seat passenger keeps their seatbelt on, the car doesn’t auto lock and the entertainment keeps playing. Doesn’t need to be a paired phone in the car.

Works better for me than leaving the driver door on the first click if I’m nipping into a shop
Thing is though, I wanted the doors to lock, that’s why I asked her to lock herself in. Trying to figure out how to avoid this scenario again. Just a way of getting out, leaving them safe in the car, without the alarm going off like a banshee

Thing is though, I wanted the doors to lock, that’s why I asked her to lock herself in. Trying to figure out how to avoid this scenario again. Just a way of getting out, leaving them safe in the car, without the alarm going off like a banshee
Then dog mode, or the person in the car with the second key/paired phone should be able to lock from the touchscreen. Either should turn off the ultrasonic alarms.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Yep, alarm was set with locking car from Mrs’ phone/app.

Use the touchscreen in future to lock the doors only.

Can also disable walk away door lock (with the driver door ajar) to disable as one-time option. It’ll revert when next put in Drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Yep, alarm was set with locking car from Mrs’ phone/app.

Use the touchscreen in future to lock the doors only.

Can also disable walk away door lock (with the driver door ajar) to disable as one-time option. It’ll revert when next put in Drive.
Cheers bud, would think that Elon would have some sort of relevant feature added, I mean doggy mode and camp mode are already there I suppose, just be nice to have something in place for passengers/family

Cheers bud, would think that Elon would have some sort of relevant feature added, I mean doggy mode and camp mode are already there I suppose, just be nice to have something in place for passengers/family
not sure how a passenger mode would differ from camp mode?
you wouldn't lock your car when inside it using the remote that comes with the other 99% of cars because you know it would arm the alarm.
using the app to lock the doors is no different. So not crazy behaviour on the cars part just part of the Tesla learning curve. And at least its given you a story to relay on those tedious Zoom calls to family :)
Not sure if all the seats have weight sensors in them but if they do then an option not to set the alarm when the seats are occupied might be nice. it would have to be an option though since you might be leaving something heavy in the back

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
But there are options, dog mode, camp mode, and the wife locking the car from the touchscreen are all valid options if you need it to be locked while they wait. I suspect the issue here isn't a lack of options but the lack of a specifically worded "going for a slash while the wife keeps warm mode"

This isn't a new problem, my Citroen auto armed the alarm if I walked away with the key. So either had to leave the door ajar or leave her with the key.

But there are options, dog mode, camp mode, and the wife locking the car from the touchscreen are all valid options if you need it to be locked while they wait. I suspect the issue here isn't a lack of options but the lack of a specifically worded "going for a slash while the wife keeps warm mode"

This isn't a new problem, my Citroen auto armed the alarm if I walked away with the key. So either had to leave the door ajar or leave her with the key.
Couldn’t touch the screen as she was in the back with the baby. Dog mode - ok maybe principal is there. Camp mode - apparently leaves the AC on even when ya all out of the car. Pretty sure I should be able to walk away from the car with my phone and clock something in the app that locks the car but doesn’t arm the alarm.

Maybe I’m missing something?