Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving People in the Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
So I recently went on my first holiday with the M3 and on various occasions I wanted to get out of the car while leaving people inside.Not a problem if it was my wife since she has the Tesla app on her phone. Not so good if it was the kids ( before you call social services they are teenagers). The problem we discovered is that if I walk away the car locks and then after a few minutes the alarm goes off which is quite loud inside the car, (or so I am told :)).

I appreciate that there are several solutions to this but none of them are ideal

1) give the kids the app - not going to happen. I don't want them either sounding the horn when I am driving or buying FSD
2) give them a key card - they would lose it or leave in the car
3) leave my phone with them - not always practical
4) put in camp mode - This is what we have been doing until the other day when I went to pay for parking. Kids put it in camp mode then when I got back they got out without turning it off and it was in camp mode for 6 hours in a public car park, presumably unlocked and used 10% of the battery.

For short periods I thought about telling them to use Dog Mode instead of Camp. at least if that is left on the car will be locked and may use a bit less power.

I wondered what everyone else is doing in similar circs. and whether I have missed a trick?

My car doesn’t lock when I walk away with passengers left in it. I’d not considered it before reading your post, and I don’t know if mine is functioning as designed or yours is.

My car doesn’t lock when I walk away with passengers left in it. I’d not considered it before reading your post, and I don’t know if mine is functioning as designed or yours is.
Hmm maybe it checks for the weight of a passenger in the front. The cases where the alarm went off were all where both front seat passengers got out so maybe someone getting in the front is one answer?

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Hmm maybe it checks for the weight of a passenger in the front. The cases where the alarm went off were all where both front seat passengers got out so maybe someone getting in the front is one answer?
On reflection, I don’t think I’ve ever left it without someone in the front. You may be on to something there.

Dog or camp mode!

I have learnt the hard way, Left my 70 year old mother inlaw and 5 year old son (who was fast asleep) in the car while i was unpacking a picnic for us at the park. Next thing i know my phone starts buzzing that the car alarm was going off and in the distance (around 200m away) i could hear music blaring out the car and a 5 year old screaming :/. Could not stop the alram via the phone so had to run back quickly (took me all of 19.18secs) to the car and it stopped. Not sure if there is a way to stop it via the phone?

So what happens if you vent the windows? In my previous car (audi a5), I had a button to press if I wanted to lock the car with someone still in it or if I wanted to leave the windows slightly open for ventilation. This switched off the internal sensors and all was good. With he car in vent, leaves or things like that could still blow in.

If i leave someone in the car i usually turn off "Walk Away Locking" on the Locks menu page.
But then, you have to remember to turn it back on afterwards - i've left my car unlocked for several hours a few times because of this!

I think the car really should detect when any of the seats are occupied and disable the alarm when the car is locked.

My wife was driving once, her and baby in the back. Little man got upset so she pulled over and sat in the back with him to calm him down. The alarm went off and played the loud music inside. I’ve been wary ever since.

When we’re out together my wife will usually sit in the back with the baby. If we stop and I have to pop into a shop or what not. I normally leave the phone in the car but when I need my phone for Apple Pay or what ever reason I’m unsure how to leave the car whilst they’re still in it.

I've been left in front passenger seat on quite a few occasions (whilst STDMGCAW waits for end of football training) and never had a problem - but I would always have had my phone on me which is also a key. Camp/dog mode seems to be the answer when no key in car, although iirc you can manually lock/unlock the car from the screen which may work for more 'aware' passengers.

My wife was driving once, her and baby in the back. Little man got upset so she pulled over and sat in the back with him to calm him down. The alarm went off and played the loud music inside. I’ve been wary ever since.

When we’re out together my wife will usually sit in the back with the baby. If we stop and I have to pop into a shop or what not. I normally leave the phone in the car but when I need my phone for Apple Pay or what ever reason I’m unsure how to leave the car whilst they’re still in it.
camp mode / climate on or even Dog mode will do it. just so long as if when you come back if you are all leaving the car you remember to turn it off.
What might be better in your case is to let your wife have the app on her phone. that should stop it so long as she leaves Bluetooth on.

Personally I'd just give them a key card and also enable pin to drive. If they lose the key you can then deactivate it for the car. Until we get a "kid mode" of some sort!
What I would quite like is a permanent notification that sits in my notification bar whenever Camp or Dog Mode is enabled to constantly remind me that it is on. Since the car already has a sticky notification ( on Android at least) it could be added to that but a second one would be more noticible.

What I would quite like is a permanent notification that sits in my notification bar whenever Camp or Dog Mode is enabled to constantly remind me that it is on. Since the car already has a sticky notification ( on Android at least) it could be added to that but a second one would be more noticible.

One option could be to use the Stats App (iOS only?) and enable the notifications for doors unlocked when no one is in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: M3-Newbie