Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving SAS Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I have less than 1 week before I get my S75, I'm looking through the user manual to pass the time.
I have a question about the location based SAS system that the manual is unclear on, and I cannot find the information anywhere.

What kind of area does the car consider a "location"? The manual suggests that the SAS will return to normal after leaving the saved location, but it doesn't define what the area of the location is.

The reason I ask is there a road though my village where there are speed bumps for about 600m (2000ft). How much of that road will the SAS system consider within the saved location? And to a lesser extent, my driveway is also very uneven (basically a mud road) and is 70m (230ft) long....

Could the car decide its passed the saved location and lower the suspension while I'm still making my way up the driveway, or will it always wait till the speed is over the thresholds?

The SAS considers a relatively small area a "location", probably around the size of a house lot (say 20m x 20m).

The suspension is raised to your stored height setting when entering the location, and will stay at that height within the location.

After leaving the location, the suspension is eligible to be lowered automatically, but won't actually lower until you exceed the speed thresholds.

• Informative
Reactions: tkdkenny
Question. My driveway is short, and at an angle. I concerned that I might drag the front on the road when I park (I park backwards most of the time.)

I'm assuming I can set a location, so that the suspension will raise.
What happens after I park, with the front of my car 10' away from the street?
Will the car lower down when parked. Will it try to stay level on the sloped driveway?

Now that I have less than 1 week before I get my S75, I'm looking through the user manual to pass the time.
I have a question about the location based SAS system that the manual is unclear on, and I cannot find the information anywhere.

What kind of area does the car consider a "location"? The manual suggests that the SAS will return to normal after leaving the saved location, but it doesn't define what the area of the location is.

The reason I ask is there a road though my village where there are speed bumps for about 600m (2000ft). How much of that road will the SAS system consider within the saved location? And to a lesser extent, my driveway is also very uneven (basically a mud road) and is 70m (230ft) long....

Could the car decide its passed the saved location and lower the suspension while I'm still making my way up the driveway, or will it always wait till the speed is over the thresholds?

For the road in your village, I would recommend setting your suspension at either end of this stretch. That way, no matter which direction you are coming from, the suspension will raise. It will stay raised as long as you stay below the lowering speed. Keep in mind that if there are perpendicular side streets that you may use to approach this stretch of road from, you'll need to set it at those locations also, especially if they are in the middle (~1,000ft from your other settings).

For your driveway, as long as you set your suspension at the base of your driveway, and don't exceed the lowering speed, there's no need to set it again at the top.

As far as what the defined lowering speeds are; I've seen two different sets of numbers. On most cars I've driven, it drops out of Very High at 25MPH, and drops out of High at 35MPH. That said, I recently had a brand new loaner that those speeds were 35MPH & 45MPH, respectively. I don't know if it's a build-date cutoff, or some option combination, that explains why some newer cars are 35MPH & 45MPH.

• Informative
Question. My driveway is short, and at an angle. I concerned that I might drag the front on the road when I park (I park backwards most of the time.)

I'm assuming I can set a location, so that the suspension will raise.
What happens after I park, with the front of my car 10' away from the street?
Will the car lower down when parked. Will it try to stay level on the sloped driveway?
You should set the location at the base of your driveway. This way it will lower before reaching your driveway, regardless of which direction you approach from. The car will stay raised while you are parked there.

It will maintain level on the sloped driveway, but remember which level we are talking about here. The SAS does not level the car to gravitational horizon. The SAS levels the car with respect to the ground it's parked on. The idea behind SAS leveling is that the distance between the chassis and the ground at each wheel maintain the same distance.

Another important note to keep in mind with SAS... Once you've set a raised suspension location, you will see the indicator on the Suspension page, next to "RIDE HIEGHT", when you are within range of that set point.
SAS.jpg

The important thing to remember here is that, while that icon (Auto-Raising Location) is displayed, if you change the suspension level to Standard or below, it will permanently remove that set location. If you change it from High to Very High, or Very High to High, it will permanently remove your old set location, and create a new one at your current spot, set to which setting you just pressed.

• Informative