Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Tesla mobile charger plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it ok to leave my mobile charger plugged it at home while I go out and go to work/etc?

Had a 40amp outlet installed with the appropriate NEMA plug in my garage.

It is a little warm to touch but charging well.

I used my Gen 1 mobile charger as my main charging source for 3 years on my S and 2 years with my X and it was plugged in 24/7. The only problem I ever had was the GFCI outlet it was plugged intor had to be replaced after 4 years.

If you have one of the $10 14-50 plugs from Home Depot and not one of the more durable $50+ Tesla recommended models, it's probably better to keep it plugged in unless you need it during your drive. There have been several reports of repeated plugging and unplugging of the UMC loosening the contacts in the receptacle, which resulted in poor contact and electrical damage to the receptacle and the plug.

Someone measured the energy consumption when the UMC is plugged in but not connected to the car. The total cost per year was $1. So it's not worth unplugging it daily. You are wearing out the socket and plug and it'll cost you more to replace those. The electronics don't wear out being connected all the time either.

Reactions: kavyboy