Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving the car for 17days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you know, the Model X is losing around 3% of battery per 24h of non use.
I am debating what my best option will be when leaving town for about 17days this coming December.

Should I charge the car up to 80-90%, and let it slowly discharge until I get back, 17 days later? (it shouldn't end up much below 50%).
Or should I leave it plugged in, with a nighttime recharge set at, 50, 60, 70 or 80% during this whole time, so that the car never discharges more than those 3% below that set limit, per 24h period?

As you know, the Model X is losing around 3% of battery per 24h of non use.
I am debating what my best option will be when leaving town for about 17days this coming December.

Should I charge the car up to 80-90%, and let it slowly discharge until I get back, 17 days later? (it shouldn't end up much below 50%).
Or should I leave it plugged in, with a nighttime recharge set at, 50, 60, 70 or 80% during this whole time, so that the car never discharges more than those 3% below that set limit, per 24h period?

a plugged in tesla is a happy tesla, straight from the book of elon;)

in all seriousness, I would charge it to 80-90%, then set the charger to charge at 50% that way the charger will not attempt to keep the car at 80-90% and it will not allow it to get below 50%.

Leave the car plugged in with 50% state of charge or whatever you feel comfortable with. The car will know when it falls below what you have set by several miles and will charge on its own. No worries about having to check it while you are gone. On an extended trip say, to Hawaii or Caribbean, or even overseas, you may NOT be able to connect to the car via the app. {It's happened to me on several extended trips}. I've always returned to the car charged right to the level I had preset before departing.

A different scenario::::: if you are leaving it unplugged you MUST know how many miles a day your car looses and make sure you have charged it up to a level way beyond the level of loss, so you don't get caught arriving back at the car with very few miles. (you may be stranded). Temperature is extremely important when you are leaving your car unplugged for an extended period of time. The battery will either warm or cool your battery pack using a variable amount of energy {miles}. Ouch! Sometimes a lot of miles depending on the extremes it is in while you are gone.

Learn this amount mileage loss long before you need to leave your car without it being plugged in.

Also, you have to be a bit of a temperature predictor to know the extreme temps your car MIGHT go through in your absence. {all the above learned form experience.. twenty plus days left unplugged on one adventure. Thankfully there was a supercharger not far from where I parked it! Too bad there was not a three dollar wash nearby also, as my car looked like crap! Covered with dust and the elements. It was also on this particular trip that my ability to reach the car via the app was completely lost after 3 days of checking regularly}.

I trusted the knowledge I had about normal energy loss and temperature energy loss. The car was low on energy but not too far off the mark I had predicted for myself. 4.7 years of ownership. 74,000 plus miles. Many, many trips left plugged in. 10 or so extended trips while the car just had to sit... unplugged. Knowledge is king. Know your car. IMO fridged temps are worst.

Last edited: