TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Leaving the car fully charged for a week - ok?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by QQQ, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. QQQ

QQQ Member

I accidentally charged my car to 100% and I'm off to a trip for a week so the car will be left in the garage. Would it be fine to just leave it or should I try to consume the battery in some way (e.g. turning on a/c.... not sure what else). Or should I go ahead and try to take a quick drive before I take off and consume that way? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I would take a quick drive and burn it down below 95% at least. Unless it is a software locked 60 or something, then no worries.

• Like x 1
  3. josher32

josher32 Member

I think he says he is away out of town this can't drive it. I'd probably run my AC to run battery down if I could drive mine. Always best to leave 90% or below and I'll you must go above 90 then leave least Amt of time at this level.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

He said a quick drive before leaving was an option, so that would be the quickest way to burn down the battery.

• Like x 1
  5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Drive it down to 90% if you can, else turrn on the heat via the app to drop it to 90%.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Turn on the heat with the roof vented.

7. j0hn

j0hn Member

and contribute to global warming :D

8. Graffi

Graffi Member

Turn on the AC with roof vented and you can contribute to "Global Cooling";)

• Love x 1
  9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Lol technically yes...

10. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Can use the app from afar to burn down a few percent cooling the car.

There will also be vampire drain.

I wouldn't worry about it since clearly this episode would constitute an exception rather than the rule.

11. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

It will lose VIA vampire 3 PERCENT A DAY, forget it

12. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

If you have the visible Tesla app on your phone or computer you can change the charging to 90%.

13. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

If you haven't set the car up to reduce vampire drain, then 3% drain per day is probably true (well, depending on outside temperature etc.). Otherwise you can still play with A/C via the app to give the battery some extra drain initially. Overall, wouldn't worry too much about it. Have a nice trip!

14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I would go take a 30 minute ride and burn off the excess

15. QQQ

QQQ Member

#15 QQQ, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Thanks all. I ended up dragging myself out at midnight and drove for 20 minutes on the highway to get to around 90%. Interestingly, when I started the car the range was 250 miles (1.25 yrs old MX 90D - this was the first time I charged fully or nearly fully) but then as soon as I drove it quickly came down to 246 miles within a few seconds.

Anyways it was a silly mistake but a waste of energy (literally) but glad I oils leave with peace of mind in the end.

16. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Turn on the AC and contribute to global cooling

17. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#17 Ulmo, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Actually, no: once the energy is in a clean energy network, all you're doing is moving the heat around. The total amount of terrestrial heat will not change (net after use), except for some quantum amounts due to some turning into energy or matter that would not have otherwise due to I don't even know what (such as battery use, but in this case, you're saving battery wear).

By the way, turning on the heater or air conditioner remotely would likely work. I monitored the Model S which I sold when it shipped cross-continent, and during that 10 days of shipping, it went from 62% to 5% state of charge. Most of that was from A/C due to Overheat Protection (set to 105ºF or so). Some of that was me turning on the A/C manually before I thought it would take ten days to get there and use so much battery. Some of it was TeslaFi polling it for information, and that caused me to set TeslaFi into ultra-deep-sleep mode, and that helped a lot.

I'm sure if someone intentionally set the A/C and Heater alternately on the Model S, that they could eat up a large amount of energy very quickly. It would just require getting into the Tesla app on your smartphone a dozen or so times every half hour; that's a chore in itself, but it could be done remotely.

Since you mentioned going to bed then getting up in the middle of the night to deplete energy, perhaps just leave a door open outside with the heater on. Then, you'd risk running the battery down to 0%. But, you could set your alarm for an hour and run out and shut it off. Of course, leaving the door open allows bugs to fly inside the car, so that's not the best solution.

Alternately turning on heat then cold every 20 minutes seems like a great way to do it with the car closed.