Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving the Tesla family for an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, how strange. Interesting enough I was going to buy the all new Land Rover Discover. I had a day one model 3 reservation while I owned a Land Rover Discovery 2 and a Discovery 3 (LR3). When Land Rover announced their all new Land Rover Discovery, I went crazy for it. So much so that placed an actual order in for one and was going to cancel my M3. Well, while waiting those 3 months till my Land Rover was delivererd, I found myself sucked into that deep sick rabbit hole of Tesla... right around time to get financing for the Rover, I asked my bank who approved me for the Rover if it was possible for me to do a Tesla at X amount. Said yes, you’re approved for that and I just went bar *sugar* crazy! And pulled the trigger on a new model S 90D when all the stars aligned... a week after that, my new Discovery arrived at the dealership and my dealer was pisssd lol

But I Couldn’t be happier :) I still love my two older land rovers while I still currently own. In fact, if I went back to just ICE, it would be a Land Rover and most likely a Discovery
. They are so cool, practical, fun, and a great family car. One thing that will piss you off after owning a Tesla is the infotainment center. You’re see ;) good luck with your new car and I believe you make a great choice for an ICE

Thanks! I may be hauling six people more regularly, so the Discovery will fit nicely I think.

Your situation reminds me of when we lived in NYC back in 2013. My friend and I got our Model Ss at the same time. This was long before there was any meaningful number of public chargers. It was a fun challenge! Our valet garage near the apartment eventually agreed to always keep my S plugged into 120 V, which worked out well. My friend had a harder time finding a plug near his apartment so he ran an extension cord from his bedroom window down to his Tesla on the street below. Ever considered this? I would easily do that rather than changing back to ICE :)

On a different note, Tesla offers free destination chargers for employers now. Ever tried that route? Tesla launches a new ‘Workplace Charging’ program to supply free charging stations to businesses

Last edited:
I am somewhat disappointed with the lack of charging in at the Reston Town Center. I would have thought, with all those parking garages, there would have been a lot of chargers, even a community Super Charger site.

John
They're putting in a bank of 20 or 30 Chargepoint or EVgo stations at our building right now, right off Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley. I keep checking if any supercharger cabinets or destination chargers show up during the build process but unfortunately I think it's going to be a completely non-Tesla-sponsored pay-for-use site.

My friend had a harder time finding a plug near his apartment so he ran an extension cord from his bedroom window down to his Tesla on the street below. Ever considered this? I would easily do that rather than changing back to ICE :)

Seeking Alpha articles imply that is the only way...

Sorry about the situation Op. Hopefully things will continue to improve. I love having a full charge every morning. I don't think I would be a fan if I had to chase electrons.

That's barely enough if the commute does pull out that full range by itself, something that I would consider an optimistic situation for many California commuters

I know there are some people who commute >150 miles each way, but I don't think that's at all common. I've lived in CA all my life and have never had a commute > 45 miles each way. Traffic is the bigger factor in CA commuting, but then that doesn't affect range all that much.

As far as the rental house goes, if there is a clothes dryer fairly close to where you park, you might be able to use the dryer circuit.

I went to see my sister, I took a 240V 30A adapter and a 30 foot 50A extension cord, and the factory supplied car charging adapter. It allowed me to use the existing wiring to charge. I ran the cord through a window from the laundry room to the car.

I think I got 20+ miles range for each hour charging.

That extension cord is very heavy and close to the diameter of a garden hose. I don't suggest this setup is ideal but it might give you an option.

She's sweet, while I was there she put in a 50A outlet near where I parked, that allowed charging at 40A, I got about 33 miles per hour of charging.

I call it "valuing his time at less than minimum wage".

I wish all Supercharger users would see it this way (or at least comprehend how silly to "pay" yourself peanuts ... I mean, electrons.)

Right, because you guys are getting paid 24/7 all hours every hour and have absolutely no way of being productive at the SCS...

OP doesn't really have much of a choice and many other owners are in the same boat. Me? I just have a lot of free time on my hand, call me generous for spending some of it at the local SCS ;)

Last edited:
I am one of those people where the smartphone just isn't practical anymore. For years, I've struggled with charging I don't have any power outlets near the desk in my new office. I don't have an extension cord and can't have my employer rewire the office.

The other thing is at my new rental house there is no outlet by the bedside table where I keep my phone.

So I am trading it in for a gas powered phone. All I have to do is to swing by with the phone at the gas station a few times a week. What a relief it will be.

Last edited: