Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving the Tesla family for an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: vdiv
Right, because you guys are getting paid 24/7 all hours every hour and have absolutely no way of being productive at the SCS...
It's pretty much the opposite of that. If I found myself with a half-hour with nothing to do, I would literally rather spend it lying on the couch staring at the ceiling than driving across town to the SC to top up. This isn't just theory, it's a fact (proof: I actually don't) so it lets me objectively put a lower bound on what I must (in some sense) be valuing my time at. Last I did the the naïve math of the cost of electricity saved divided by the time, it came out to somewhat under minimum wage. So I guess I'm willing to (in some perverse sense) pay myself minimum wage to do nothing whatsoever.

But hey, if you actually enjoy going to your SC and hanging out there being productive, awesome. I mean, when I happen to have an errand to somewhere there's charging, I plug in. I guess that counts as "being productive at the charger", but it's just fortuitous. I don't plan errands to let me charge.

See also, Blake Fall-Conroy
OP doesn't really have much of a choice
Exactly, and as a result OP decided to ditch their Model S. Can't be much clearer than that.

Reactions: bhzmark
I'm happy charging at home and generally do, but also happy to have a coffee and cake on Tesla by charging at the SC, as the cost to fill the tank here in the UK at home is about the same. Depending on facilities of course an SC charge is what you make it, I'm never bored, there's internet, work, a book or even a walk.

I sometimes actually debate trading in for an ICE... Primarily because I can get a much faster ICE than my S85 for same price or cheaper... But then I feel, I just can't do it. Tesla ruined other cars for me .

Last edited:
Prior to getting my wall connector installed at home (about six weeks after taking delivery), I charged almost exclusively at work and Superchargers (I did use the UMC in the garage but on 120V @ 12A, it didn't add a whole lot overnight).

The people at my work complex (three buildings) are good about sharing the two (paid) L2 chargers. They're never ICEd. I've seen Leafs, Volts, Bolts and a Fisker there in addition to a couple Model S other than mine.

Now that I have a 100A circuit at home I rarely charge at work. Much cheaper at home than the 20 cents per KWh at the parking garage.

If you can get good L2 charging installed at work (240V/50A circuits) a full day's work will fully recharge a near-empty battery.

Thanks! I may be hauling six people more regularly, so the Discovery will fit nicely I think.

If you are talking about kids or the elderly, I'm going to give you advice that you will hate, but then love if you actually follow it.

Get a minivan. Surrender your panache or any hope for coolness again, and get the right tool for the job. Make sure there is sliding door on each side, and roof mount folding HDTV for passengers. Extra points for easy to clean features and bench seating.

I know it's not 'cool'. And the Land Rover has at least a little fashion sense. But the minivan is the Swiss Army Knife of kidmobiles. It is engineered for that purpose, an SUV or sedan is not, and it shows everyday.
There is only 1 plug-in which is the Chrysler Pacifica. Highly rated. Wake up each AM with at 33 miles of EPA AER range UNLESS you floor it, then it still gets better mileage than most SUV/CUVs/Crossovers.

My wife HATED being seen in a minivan, even the Silhouettes, which was about the most luxurious and 'less hideous'. But damn that thing rocked when it came to moving kids, strollers, and groceries. It worked so well, when the first one got thrashed enough, she bought another exactly like it down to the color, but with newer tech.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
SUV or Sedan?

If I had to get a 7/8 passenger SUV, I'd test drive a few. And I'd take a good inventory about what I now and in the future will be using it for. It would be the Tahoe/Suburban 7/8 seat with with 420HP NA V8 with 10 speed automatic. The difference in the Suburban has more cargo room with 7/9 adults inside due to it's long wheel base but does not get the 420HP option, just 355HP. The GMs seem to be the most serious SUVs, they have 6 versions of the heavy duty ones.

GM foodchain:
Standard wheelbase: Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade
Long wheelbase: Suburban (seats up to 9), Yukon XL, Escalade ESV

Regardless of brochure information, all are towing vehicles starting with the frame. They are full-size very rugged pickups in their other life. People tow twice the rated weight with them sometimes. I do not suggest it, but if you going to tow 10,000 or more with bumper hitch, it would be the Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L 420HP engine. Buttery smooth, power everywhere. It's a tow king when it comes to SUVs can be ordered with extra large Brembo brakes, not that the factory brakes aren't huge. These are just 84% more pad and 42% percent more rotor.

The 420HP motor is not just quick for a beast, it really shines when towing. It has passing power towing a car trailer, that some sedans don't have unladen. Seriously. It will tow a Prius and trailer quicker and faster while passing than the Prius could move under it's own power. By a lot. The drivetrain was engineered for safety, and quick passing is safer passing. Towing max weight+ at the speed limit+ up the steepest grades is safer than hanging out in the all-trucks lane where the 90 mph BMW drivers are doing their passing between 25mph semi-trucks.

Last edited:
Much Faster, How so?

I have a 2013 model S85 with 14,000 miles.

0-60 comes in at 5.125 (as tested by me).

Comparing this to other full size / mid size sedans it's like a sea of cars for comparable or even lower priced (than my used Tesla) which can do 0-60 in way under 5:

New Chevrolet SS: 0-60 in 4.2
Used ATS V 0-60 in 3.8
Slightly used CLA45 AMG 0-60 in 4.2
New Dodge Charger SRT 0-60 in 4.2
New Kia Stinger GT 0-60 in 4.4 (forget the badge lol)
Slightly Used Audi S4 0-60 in 4.4
Used Volvo S60 Polestar 0-60 in 4.7
Even a used Audi SQ5 0-60 in 4.8

Weirdly enough, I think I'm going to be in a similar situation in a little over a year when my lease is up, just for different reasons. My charging situation is fine, just that I'm wanting Tesla to make the Model S a better CAR by fall 2019 when my lease is up, while what I really want, the Porsche Mission E, won't be out until 2020. I sold our GTI and bought a used Porsche 911 Carrera S (a dream car of mine) and upgraded the PCM to a great aftermarket Android Auto/Apple CarPlay-based system. Wow. I LOVE it, such that every time I get in it I think 'Now I just need an electric one'.

SO, I'm going to probably get a used Panamera GTS for a few years and complete our Solar and A/C upgrades while Porsche ramps up Mission E production.

I love mu P90DL as a rocket BEV, just that for the money, I've realized I need it to be a better CAR before plunking down this kind of money again with them.

Reactions: McRat