Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Tow Hitch cover off - any concerns about water getting in there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live/drive in reasonably inclement conditions - muddy single track lanes, lots of big dirty puddles.

Although it's very true that the inside of the cover/door gets a little wet & dirty the compartment inside is staying fairly clean and dry for me so the cover is doing its job IMHO and I'd be reluctant to run without it.

The dirt I'm seeing looks like a small amount of intrusion round the edges - it'd be nice if there were none, but I am sure it's much worse behind the aero shields in other places.

I'd love to see an aftermarket door/cover that would let you keep the tow ball on and provide a door or extension to the socket.

The way I look at it, if the MY was designed such that you can use a bike rack or tow a trailer in all weather conditions, and not just when it is sunny and dry, then it really should not matter. In that case, it is a matter of how it looks, how much does that matter to you and do you want a cover to hide it.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
Model 3 LR 2019

Well I've had random trailer connected symbol when it wasn't. Switching on the main lights would make the trailer symbol clear. The indicator would flash rapidly, but all indicators worked fine.

The trailer socket was filled with water from the rear. You need to unbolt the bracket which holds the connector to the frame. 2 bolts with 8mm heads

There is just enough cable length to allow you to work on it without removing the bumper.

Remove the 3 nut and bolts which hold the actual connector to the bracket. The bolts are Torx T25 the nuts are 8mm.

When you get this far water will come flowing out!.

You now have to separate the wiring part from the front section, it is held in place with 4 clips around the edge. Reason is this is cup/socket connection where all the water gathers and creates shorts and trailer connected symbol. Airline dry or blow dry.

I then literally filled this cup with di electric grease and blathered same grease on all the wires entering the back. The grease will ooze out sealing the pins from water ingress.

Reassemble applying copper grease to the nuts and bolts that hold it all together.

For good measure I drilled small holes in the socket perimeter where water could collect. These holes should let any water escape and not penetrate my sealed up area
20221221_153424.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tslylr
I’d remove the horrible Tesla cover and replace with this:
If you buy these Hitch removers, it takes me less than 15 seconds to get the hitch off. It is not difficult at all. If you don't have these then it can be a pain, but seriously, breaking certain clips off, replacing it completely (unless it is for aesthetics, like this from @yellowr6
1671658670775.png
or some of the other cool covers) it seems (to me at least) to be overkill.

Do you guys, but their manual clearly states the below and has been a major topic of discussion on multiple threads here:

Carrying Accessories

The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded.