Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving UMC Brick on Tire Under Wheel Well When Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find another thread on this topic (I tried, honest!), so I figured I’d post and get some of your thoughts.

I’m currently staying at a hotel with my Model 3, and my only charging solution is a 110V GFCI outlet, unfortunately mounted sideways (I do not feel comfortable letting it hang at an awkward angle :) ). So I used my extension cord to connect the UMC, but now I have no where to hang it where it would be covered (as it would have been on the outdoor outlet, which has a cover over it). So I decided to tuck the UMC along with the cord connection on the tire in the wheel well.

My thought process: I didn’t want to hang it uncovered because the connection with the extension cord would be exposed. I thought about putting it under the car in case it rains, however am worried about water puddling. And I didn’t want to just wrap plastic or a bag over it because the risk of water seeping in my homemade “water resistant” cover is too great and worries me more. And since the outlet is grounded (I’m assuming :) ) I didn’t think hanging it over the tire would cause much of a problem. All key parts are covered and short of a complete flood no water should get near anything.

Are there any flaws in my logic? Am I making a mistake doing this? I think my reasoning is sound but wanted to see what you all thought. Thanks in advance for your comments! Cheers!

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Don't forget that unless you get a really heavy duty extension cord, you are going to probably be slowing the charging down.
I believe that Home Depot has a 1 ft heavy duty extension which would be suitable for adjusting the angle.

Once a month I have to charge off a 120V extension cord while traveling. I typically wrap the cord and UMC up near the rear of the parking spot with the connection point at the top, pull out a few feet of the car plug end, and then Summon back my car over the cables to provide cover. Never had an issue with it even in a torrential downpour.

Putting it on the wheel well isn't a problem. If it were your daily charging option, I would encourage you to either fix the outlet or find a way to support the UMC while plugged directly into the wall rather than rely on an extension cord. If it's not quality heavy duty (at least 12ga) cord then I still do. With a decent cord and a short hotel stay, I think it'll be fine.

Thanks for your comments. Charging last night went well, though decided to reduce the amperage from 12 to 10 due to some fluctuation I was getting in my charge times. It kept bouncing around by an hour back and forth every 15 seconds or so - I assumed because it wasn’t getting a consistent enough flow of electrons. Reducing the rate solved it.

I am using a 10 gauge cord with really thick and solid connections to the plugs (link below). Definitely overkill, but better safe than sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVQL896/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1