Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving X overnight at remote trailheads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my 30 years of parking cars at trailheads, I've only had one bad experience (a smash and grab break-in). Considering a short overnight trip (2 nights) where I would leave my X at a fairly busy (dozens of cars come and go each day), but remote (not one right off a highway) trailhead in the Cascades. I won't be leaving anything of value in the X, but of course the X itself is valuable. Thoughts?

As you noted, there always is risk at remote trailheads, in any car. Back when we had cheap gas cars, we used to worry about leaving them too.

I've been driving a Tesla for 7 years, and my wife has been driving one for 4. We do feel funny about leaving them in a situation like this, and there are definitely times when I wish I had a cheaper car. But, at the same time - it's insured, I purposely replaced my cheap gas car with this one, and it's still just a car - so I decided when I first got it that I was going to treat it the same. I do the same things and leave it in the same places. Seven years in, I have so far had no reason to regret that. (whew)

Yeah, just take your stuff out of it and lock it up. The fact that there's a lot of turn around at the trailhead is a good thing for you. Folks are less likely to do something with a potential witness around.

In my 30 years of parking cars at trailheads, I've only had one bad experience (a smash and grab break-in). Considering a short overnight trip (2 nights) where I would leave my X at a fairly busy (dozens of cars come and go each day), but remote (not one right off a highway) trailhead in the Cascades. I won't be leaving anything of value in the X, but of course the X itself is valuable. Thoughts?
The X is valuable but I've never heard of anyone stealing a Tesla without the key accidentally left in the car, so theft of the car really shouldn't be an issue (just don't leave the keys behind!)

I'm back. My X survived 2 nights "camping" alone - no issues to report. Got a lot of dust on and in it - amazing the places dust can sneak into a X. 20160717_142847570_iOS.jpg

We camp and hike a lot and we leave our MX all over the place. So far no issues. Interestingly, more than half the people don't even notice the car is expensive, it just looks like another SUV to many people...unless you open the FWDs! :) And it seems like the folks that do recognize that it's a Tesla seem to respect its awesomeness. As for crooks; they tend to go for the cars with the most valuables visible inside, so keep it clean.