Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving your phone in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm picking up my model 3 on Friday and I've got a question.

There are a few occasions where I'd want to leave my phone in the car whilst I do an activity (playing sport, for example). And I'd obviously need to lock the car.

How does that work with a model 3? Obviously I would take the key card with me. But if the phone is in the glove box, how does that work?

Would it work to turn bluetooth off on the phone, put it in the glove box, then lock the car with the keycard?

thanks

You would be better off simply not using the phone as a key, and using the key card all of the time, otherwise if you forget to disable Bluetooth the phone will allow the car to be unlocked if left inside.

If you can forget to turn Bluetooth off why can’t you forget to lock it with card? Or forget the card. I believe you can lock the car with the phone in it. We had two phones and often left one. I thought I recall there was a “safe” spot for the phone. But maybe that was just an idea. But they do make boxes that block all signal that you can keep the phone in.

I must admit that (when one could) going to the gym inwinter i loved havign the phone with me- get the car to warm itself up while having my shower. Buy a dirt cheap phone on 1p for those ocassions if worried it'll get nicked or broken and put the good one in airplane mode...

Reactions: pow216
Airplane mode or disable BT or turn off phone would work. Even if you forgot to turn anything off on the phone, after you lock the car with the keycard, the mirrors will fold and lock. Only if someone tries the handle, it will unlock. If a thief wants to break into your model 3, they don't try the handle... they break your small window in the back.

You would be better off simply not using the phone as a key, and using the key card all of the time, otherwise if you forget to disable Bluetooth the phone will allow the car to be unlocked if left inside.

But that would be such a faff having to wave the keycard every time. Phone is much more convenient.

I would just switch off the phone or put it in airplane mode. Problem with the latter is that you will inevitably forget it’s in airplane mode and miss calls later. You are more likely to notice when it’s switched off!

I found my wife kept leaving her phone in the car when we first got it, a habit from our other cars. We never had anyone break in because people these days don't check if cars are unlocked, it's so easy to lock a car and so hard to tell it's unlocked w/o breaking into the car (opening the door of a car you don't own) that almost no one does it.

I finally had to cut her phone key access off. She can use her card key.

I found my wife kept leaving her phone in the car when we first got it, a habit from our other cars. We never had anyone break in because people these days don't check if cars are unlocked, it's so easy to lock a car and so hard to tell it's unlocked w/o breaking into the car (opening the door of a car you don't own) that almost no one does it.

It’s actually quite common for thieves to walk along a road trying car doors to see if they’re unlocked. Many people these days either forget to lock the doors or walk away pressing the fob without checking to make sure the doors have actually locked. Easy pickings for thieves.

But that would be such a faff having to wave the keycard every time. Phone is much more convenient.

I would just switch off the phone or put it in airplane mode. Problem with the latter is that you will inevitably forget it’s in airplane mode and miss calls later. You are more likely to notice when it’s switched off!

You don't need airplane mode. Simply turn off the bluetooth. You'll instantly get a warning that the phone is no longer being used as a key.

• Helpful
Reactions: Spacep0d

That seems a bit severe.
Turn off Background App Processing and maybe location always too.
Then she would have to bring the app to foreground to unlock.