Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving your Tesla behind when traveling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do a lot of business travel and will need to park the car for 5-7 days at a time (not at home). Some of those times I will need to have a round trip of ~210 miles and would like to not have to supercharge to get to airport and back again.

On a normal day that round trip would be fine with an LR, however, if I leave the car for a week, I presume I will get some drain.

What’s the best thing I can do to ensure I dont come back to “50 miles left”? Is it even an issue. I read things like “2-3” miles drain a day is normal... any thoughts? Thanks!

I do a lot of business travel and will need to park the car for 5-7 days at a time (not at home). Some of those times I will need to have a round trip of ~210 miles and would like to not have to supercharge to get to airport and back again.

On a normal day that round trip would be fine with an LR, however, if I leave the car for a week, I presume I will get some drain.

What’s the best thing I can do to ensure I dont come back to “50 miles left”? Is it even an issue. I read things like “2-3” miles drain a day is normal... any thoughts? Thanks!

If you adjust some of the connectivity settings it should be a minimal loss. I'm not sure if anyone has posted long term numbers for the Model 3 but I would not worry if you are leaving it for 7 days.

Many long term lots have charging options now - I would look for one of those when leaving your car for long periods. You will experience some range loss during extreme heat (cabin overheat protection) and cold (battery warming). Do you have a supercharging option for the trip back in case the charger is unavailable for some reason? If so, you should be fine no matter what. Since you said you travel a lot, you'll have plenty of opportunities to learn what the limits of the system are.

I'm facing the same thing in a couple of weeks and will have to park in an outside lot, several of the things I'm planning to do:

-charge to 90% the night before (80 miles to the airport)
-park facing East/West if possible
-put sunshades in the front and back windows
-set the cabin overheat control to no A/C
-it's no big deal to stop at a supercharger on the way home. Stop to go to the restroom and it will give you 50 miles and only cost a couple of bucks.

I'm probably overreacting and will come back to 200+ miles of range left! :rolleyes:

I'm currently on a trip:

1. Charged to 95%
2. Parked in underground garage (consistent temp in the 70s)
3. Powered down the car via the service menu
4. Put a car cover on it
5. DO NOT check the app everyday!!!! This wakes up the car and uses power.

I lost 8 miles in 7 days.

(3) What does powering it down actually do? When I return to the vehicle I need to use keycard? How do you power it back up?

Doing this right now, basically going to be away from the car approximately 3 weeks at a time. If it's unplugged, try and not check it daily, it will eat more into the power. If it's plugged it no big deal.

Glad mine gets to stay at home in a garage for the time being.

LAX has charging stations at lots 1, 6, and 7. Off airport: lot C, the Parking Spot (very limited), WallyPark (very limited), and some hotels have charging. Most require valet parking and some charge extra. Lot C is probably best option.

I lost about 2 miles a day on a recent week-long trip.

My airport drive is 240 miles round trip. I charge only to 80% since I have a supercharger available somewhat in route.

Personally I'd be comfortable with your trip in normal temperatures. Start out with 100% for peace of mind.

I used these guys at LAX recently and was very happy: Airport Center Parking. They had ample 120V outlets, were reasonably-priced, safe, and the shuttles were timely.

LAX has charging stations at lots 1, 6, and 7. Off airport: lot C, the Parking Spot (very limited), WallyPark (very limited), and some hotels have charging. Most require valet parking and some charge extra. Lot C is probably best option.

I'll agree, look for parking that allow charging. And you don't want/need destination charging or J-1772 charging. All you really need is a 120V wall plug to keep the car happy. In Atlanta we have a parking company, Peachy Parking that provides charging for EVs. All they have is 120V plugs. When I pull in, there's generally over 20 cars mixed between Teslas and Leafs. When you are gone for a week, even a 1 mph charge rate will add over 100 miles. If you get 4 mph, then your car will be topped off in 5 days.

Some of the other parking lots have J-1772 chargers and they will often cycle cars on and off the charger. If you are in an underground, then you probably won't be able to see the state of charge though.

Just a quick search for "LAX EV Parking" yielded LAX Airport Parking | The Parking Spot