Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED headlight sloppy spill pattern....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I have a loaner refresh 90D with LED headlights. I'm rather surprised that projection pattern is very uneven with no sharp line cutoff like the HIDs.

Has anyone else noticed this? This seems like it would be an issue for glare with oncoming drivers plus it just doesn't look as good.

On my Tesla, I agree, the LED headlights do not appear to be an improvement over the previous generation HIDs. If anything, it might be the opposite.

I have seen other cars (particularly Audi, Mercedes, and Acura) with LED lights that perform extremely well. But on those cars, each LED is hooked up to a glass projector lens resulting in an array of projectors.

I’d imagine that’s ultimately the superior design, and Tesla took a bit of a cost-cutting approach

continuous improvement .. best they could do to conincide with the facelift, updated ones to follow in future is my guess.

I expect at some point Tesla will revisit the lights which I agree are not the best, in particular I dont like the jagged edges to the beam as your eye tends to be drawn to it whilst driving.

Just have to hope that the updated ones are a drop in replacement, though they're not going to be cheap.

I have a loaner refresh 90D with LED headlights. I'm rather surprised that projection pattern is very uneven with no sharp line cutoff like the HIDs.

Has anyone else noticed this? This seems like it would be an issue for glare with oncoming drivers plus it just doesn't look as good.
Perhaps that's why the IIHS rated the Model S headlights as POOR. Even the Bolt did better on this test. Tesla should be ashamed.

On RHD cars the RHD high beams are terrible. Mine throws about 15' in front of the car.The left is sort of o.k.

It's been back twice, once it was 'adjusted' - no change. Second time the SC said they'd replaced the unit but it's just as bad. If I'm facing a window you can see one of the LEDs is not firing straight ahead, but down. I'd cut some slack if this was some sort of camera assistance feature, as it does cover the centre line of the road, but probably only out to 30' which cant be much help at 70.

I ought to get back and have them re-visit this really, as driving at night is disappointing to say the least.

Also no sign of the dynamic headlam LEDs going on and off as you corner, just the fog-lights coming on like a VW golf.

continuous improvement .. best they could do to conincide with the facelift, updated ones to follow in future is my guess.

I expect at some point Tesla will revisit the lights which I agree are not the best, in particular I dont like the jagged edges to the beam as your eye tends to be drawn to it whilst driving.

Just have to hope that the updated ones are a drop in replacement, though they're not going to be cheap.

So then why did they even do LED at all unless they were ready to do them right in the first place? Does it save over the obviously superior performing and looking HIDs?

Heck even my Prius has a nice sharp cutoff beam that won't cause glare for oncoming drivers.

honestly - so that can say "LED headlights"

The average owner wont't care or even notice the headlights are less than perfect.
Only the discerning and noisy 1% on here!

In reality the planned new nose was deemed necessary to keep the model S fresh to support sales.
The change in headlight aperture even though minor meant that the headlight had to be changed too. so rather than redesign for HID and LED, they just went LED quite possibly as they can also see the LED prices are dropping and this can be a cost saving over HID (now or in the future I don't have the comparative cost prices for).

They can always up-issue them in future, and this I think is really Tesla's judgement based on both piece part cost and finite design resource.

The LED headlights are horrible! Such a downgrade from my luxury German car LED active projectors. I have to use high-beams frequently to see the road. Automatic high beams are also a total joke. I disabled it in the menu for good.

Reactions: gabeincal

On RHD cars the RHD high beams are terrible. Mine throws about 15' in front of the car.The left is sort of o.k.
I ought to get back and have them re-visit this really, as driving at night is disappointing to say the least.
Also no sign of the dynamic headlamp LEDs going on and off as you corner, just the fog-lights coming on like a VW golf.
Yep, sorka; Ianf: the new LED headlights are MUCH WORSE than the older cars (my beloved P85DL). A step backwards, and with no real redeeming features at all!
I want then to offer an upgrade- I'd even pay for it, these are so SH!T in night driving out of the city....

• Love
Reactions: raijin
Yes, I would pay up to $3000 for an upgrade. When I first drove my car home at night I thought I was going blind or really tired, then realize it was just the terrible headlights. Never occurred to me to do a test drive at night!

The lights on this thing or worse than an old Ford focus.

The LED headlights are horrible! Such a downgrade from my luxury German car LED active projectors. I have to use high-beams frequently to see the road. Automatic high beams are also a total joke. I disabled it in the menu for good.
I always find it funny when people talk about Tesla being the most technologically advanced car...

I always find it funny when people talk about Tesla being the most technologically advanced car...

Yes remarkable how the beam can be selectively altered to prevent glare to other drivers but otherwise light up the entire road. Too bad Tesla lacks these high end features which are common on German cars 1/2 the price.

Yes remarkable how the beam can be selectively altered to prevent glare to other drivers but otherwise light up the entire road. Too bad Tesla lacks these high end features which are common on German cars 1/2 the price.

FWIW that particular feature is illegal in the US per the NHTSA definition of headlights having a low beam and high beam position. Audi and Mercedes both ship cost-reduced variants of their advanced lighting in the US that does not have these dynamic abilities.

Still, though, their beam patterns are better than what Tesla offers.

FWIW that particular feature is illegal in the US per the NHTSA definition of headlights having a low beam and high beam position. Audi and Mercedes both ship cost-reduced variants of their advanced lighting in the US that does not have these dynamic abilities.

Yeah because of ancient DOT laws requiring discreet high and low beams.

Reactions: gabeincal

Unless you get the base HID system which has a very nice beam pattern ;)