Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED license plate lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed some 6418 LEDs I bought through Amazon for less than $10 I think (it was over a year ago) and the improvement is huge. The car should have been built with those lights. The cost difference is minuscule.
don't forget the side turn signal lights :tongue:
I bought some LED replacements for those lights but haven't worked up the nerve to try replacing them. Looks like a tricky bit of work.

I installed some 6418 LEDs I bought through Amazon for less than $10 I think (it was over a year ago) and the improvement is huge. The car should have been built with those lights. The cost difference is minuscule. I bought some LED replacements for those lights but haven't worked up the nerve to try replacing them. Looks like a tricky bit of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this is correct anymore, i went in to order my 70S on Friday and the 70D that they had in the show room in Newport Beach had the old standard lamps but the new P90D had an upgraded tail light assembly with new license plate lights that were clearly LED. I'm not sure if they were 4k bright but they definitely were an upgrade over the old standard bulbs. FWIW.

What is the lumen output for the Abstract Ocean lights. I went with the vleds after several failed attempts at other brands. Their output is 230 Lumens @ 6000 K which is pretty good for a 38MM bulb... This is equal to about a 25 watt incandescent bulb x 2 = 50 watts on the rear plate which is really bright.

What is the lumen output for the Abstract Ocean lights. I went with the vleds after several failed attempts at other brands. Their output is 230 Lumens @ 6000 K which is pretty good for a 38MM bulb... This is equal to about a 25 watt incandescent bulb x 2 = 50 watts on the rear plate which is really bright.

I asked my manufacturer, they are rated 80LM per diode (so 160LM per bulb), but....lumen rating is almost meaningless in this context, it's mostly just a marketing thing. It's easy to quote raw lumens, but 'Effective Lumens' is the real measure, and can only be taken relative to the environment - i.e. using (expensive) photometry equipment to measure the actual light output when installed in the car. The main difference is that the AO bulbs fire 100% of the light downwards; unless the VLED version has changed, then the LED's are arranged in a barrel configuration, so most of the light is fired sideways and upwards, making the Lumen rating even more meaningless.