Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED rear reflector turn signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll have to test & confirm this tomorrow, but pretty sure every time I step on the brake pedal or regen brake during the process of making a turn, the other reflector that is not actively signaling a turn, will initiate one sequential animation and then turn off. So, if I press and release the brake pedal two separate times during a turn, then the other reflector should perform two separate single sequential animations.
As a follow-up, I had my wife record a short video of me driving along our driveway with one of the turn signals on. I can confirm what I stated in my above post is true.

While this behavior sounds odd on paper, when I actually watch it on video, I really did not find it odd or objectionable. I think this is because in real world situations, you (or the other drivers behind you) will not be completely fixated on the rear reflectors. Hell, most other drivers probably wouldn’t even notice that your rear reflectors are on, much less doing a sequential animation or flashing. They have much better things to be doing while driving, like texting or chatting on the phone with the bestie!! 🤪

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Dysan911 and mrau
First, thanks to everyone for the information and discussion. I purchased the ones off of Amazon recommended by GreenHokie and am very happy with them despite the weird behavior that goes along having a them on a Model 3. However, I noticed something last night that is worth noting. I had my rear and side camera’s up on the center display and when I made a lane change the side camera on the turn signal side was almost completely washed out with red light. I cannot say for sure if there was moisture on the camera that amplified the light but I can verify the same effect on both sides. Sorry but no pictures because the weather was pretty severe in a few areas along the route (anybody in North Carolina will know what I mean)and my wife and son were in the car. I will likely do another experiment later and get some pictures.The main reason I am bringing this up is this light effect may be an issue if later on if/when there is a software update enabling the car to automatically bring up the side camera when the turn signal is activated. Something to consider.

First, thanks to everyone for the information and discussion. I purchased the ones off of Amazon recommended by GreenHokie and am very happy with them despite the weird behavior that goes along having a them on a Model 3. However, I noticed something last night that is worth noting. I had my rear and side camera’s up on the center display and when I made a lane change the side camera on the turn signal side was almost completely washed out with red light. I cannot say for sure if there was moisture on the camera that amplified the light but I can verify the same effect on both sides. Sorry but no pictures because the weather was pretty severe in a few areas along the route (anybody in North Carolina will know what I mean)and my wife and son were in the car. I will likely do another experiment later and get some pictures.The main reason I am bringing this up is this light effect may be an issue if later on if/when there is a software update enabling the car to automatically bring up the side camera when the turn signal is activated. Something to consider.
It took me long enough to post this so apologies for that. I attached a picture of of the turn signal “wash out” described above. It does not appear to be as bad as I previously thought. The picture was taken with some ambient light around but good weather. Still like the lights and no issues so far. 👍

Attachments

• F867190E-A0F6-40B7-92E6-68185B26F7CA.jpeg
    F867190E-A0F6-40B7-92E6-68185B26F7CA.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 160
Hi folks, Long time but just wanted to follow up with you guys and let you know that after several purchases and returns on my quest to find the sequential effect that matches the Model Y we were discussing previously. (and what I really think looks more like the Audi Style sequential lights)
and that cool startup animation. :)

We thought maybe it was only the Model Y that could get these. Nope!

See sequential effects of YT video on post #80 of page 4 of this thread.

Purchase them from Amazon and select Fishbone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Currently out of stock but keep an eye on it. (Select the fishbone style which seems to be the key to getting these)

With the Side repeater lights connected, providing a dedicated turn signal for these since we are missing that on the Model 3 for US spec, the sequential lights will be fully functional including the Brake light rapid-fire flash (4 times), and stay solid. If you don't run this line and just plug them into the stock wiring as is, they just do one FILL and stay solid which I think might be more desirable for those who feel the flashing might look strange if the opposite side is blinking.

The other set that I think many of us ended up with that has a different sequential effect which has a single LED moving outward and without the dedicated turn signal wiring will do one single animation on both sides and go off.

Anyhow just wanted to share.

Reactions: phaheem and agreif
Hi folks, Long time but just wanted to follow up with you guys and let you know that after several purchases and returns on my quest to find the sequential effect that matches the Model Y we were discussing previously. (and what I really think looks more like the Audi Style sequential lights)
and that cool startup animation. :)

We thought maybe it was only the Model Y that could get these. Nope!

See sequential effects of YT video on post #80 of page 4 of this thread.

Purchase them from Amazon and select Fishbone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Currently out of stock but keep an eye on it. (Select the fishbone style which seems to be the key to getting these)

With the Side repeater lights connected, providing a dedicated turn signal for these since we are missing that on the Model 3 for US spec, the sequential lights will be fully functional including the Brake light rapid-fire flash (4 times), and stay solid. If you don't run this line and just plug them into the stock wiring as is, they just do one FILL and stay solid which I think might be more desirable for those who feel the flashing might look strange if the opposite side is blinking.

The other set that I think many of us ended up with that has a different sequential effect which has a single LED moving outward and without the dedicated turn signal wiring will do one single animation on both sides and go off.

Anyhow just wanted to share.

Hey there. Thanks for the follow-up & info. Unfortunately, it looks like item you’ve linked above does not have the same type of turn signal animation as the one for the Model Y that I posted in post #80 back on page 4. When I click on your Amazon link from above and play the supplied product video/demonstration, the turn signal animation is clearly the same type as what I have now (a single LED moving outward). Take another look at that product video from your link and tell me what you see. So, when you actually installed/used this particular fishbone type LED reflector on your vehicle, does the turn signal behave/animate differently than what is shown in their product video?

Yeah, i'm not sure why they use that product video. I probably saw that as well one day and passed on it but somehow I came across it again and read the reviews and saw someone posted a video of their lights installed and noticed the blinker effect was one that uses the fill type like the model Y. Here is mine from today.

As soon as they get them in stock again. Hopefully, they'll stick with the same and I'd recommend the fishbone style which seems to have the higher probability of getting the animation we prefer.

Reactions: mrau
Yeah, i'm not sure why they use that product video. I probably saw that as well one day and passed on it but somehow I came across it again and read the reviews and saw someone posted a video of their lights installed and noticed the blinker effect was one that uses the fill type like the model Y. Here is mine from today.

MEDIA=youtube]Hfq1HW5xWhg[/MEDIA]

As soon as they get them in stock again. Hopefully, they'll stick with the same and I'd recommend the fishbone style which seems to have the higher probability of getting the animation we prefer.
Cool. Thanks for posting a video of yours in action. Good to know/see the turn signal animation is indeed the type that we prefer. While having full functionality would be great, I’m not sure I like the fishbone pattern enough to make the swap and ditch the one I currently have. May just wait until I can find one with the solid/OEM pattern that has the desired animation and full functionality. Hopefully, one exists somewhere out there…

Cool. Thanks for posting a video of yours in action. Good to know/see the turn signal animation is indeed the type that we prefer. While having full functionality would be great, I’m not sure I like the fishbone pattern enough to make the swap and ditch the one I currently have. May just wait until I can find one with the solid/OEM pattern that has the desired animation and full functionality. Hopefully, one exists somewhere out there…
Hey, no problem. I'm not sure exactly why it seems the fishbone tends to be the one with the preferred animation. So far I haven't come across a single OEM pattern that has this animation and I've tried 2 from amazon and one from Japan. All of those have consistently been the non-preferred animation. Even the Model Y video you posted if you look closely is the fishbone.

Hopefully one day the manufacturer will acknowledge the two types of animations and make it clear for customers how to get the animation and lens style they want.

Reactions: GreenHokie
Is there a straightforward way on a Model 3 to only have these lights activate on the turn signal and not the brakes? Or would it take tapping into the front fender side repeaters?

I think if they only activated with the signals, I’d be happy, but since the 3 uses the same lights for turn signals and brakes, I’m guessing you couldn’t use the signals that come out to the rear light assembly.

Is there a straightforward way on a Model 3 to only have these lights activate on the turn signal and not the brakes? Or would it take tapping into the front fender side repeaters?

I think if they only activated with the signals, I’d be happy, but since the 3 uses the same lights for turn signals and brakes, I’m guessing you couldn’t use the signals that come out to the rear light assembly.
The nice thing about these specific ones is you could just plug them into the stock US Spect Model 3 and while the brake rapid flash doesn't happen. It does seem to cycle the Turn signal animation 1 time and stay solid so it does catch your eye. If one didn't know any better it would appear normal.

here is a video of how they look on a Model Y with the brake flashing non-functional.

If you want the brake flashing as I have on mine then you would need to tap into the side repeaters and run that connection back to the harness.

I have the OEM style ones installed but I unhooked them as I found that the effect could be too distracting and left them unhooked for now. I’ll likely upgrade them if I can find OEM style with the better animation, but in the meantime I’m going to tap them into the side repeaters without feeding in the brake signal as I only care about the turn signal animation.

Just wondering what gauge of wire you went with when you wired it up and if you remember the approximate length of wire you needed on each side?

I have the OEM style ones installed but I unhooked them as I found that the effect could be too distracting and left them unhooked for now. I’ll likely upgrade them if I can find OEM style with the better animation, but in the meantime I’m going to tap them into the side repeaters without feeding in the brake signal as I only care about the turn signal animation.

Just wondering what gauge of wire you went with when you wired it up and if you remember the approximate length of wire you needed on each side?
Funny thing, before I found these newer ones I disconnected the brake light and only used it for turn signals. The animation for the plain lens style uses some sort of strobe-like effect about 4 times on the brake animation vs these 2 or 3 quick flashes.

Anyhow, I used 18gauge wire for the side repeaters and I just bought a roll at a nearby Autoparts store. I think they come in a 40ft roll.

Awesome work going through all that. So that final effect is with you still tapping into the front repeater for each one, right? Otherwise a signal would give you one rapid flash and stay on, right? I only ask because the two vids below, *I think*, show the same signal effect without that repeater wiring, but I could be getting my wires crossed.

Looks like your fishbone ones are the same as the Hansshow ones shown here. Although their reply to my description conflicts with what I'm actually seeing (headlights on, reflectors on)

It looks like these operate like what you are going for right, full illumination, although I don't see a braking setup to see if that works the same or not.

Awesome work going through all that. So that final effect is with you still tapping into the front repeater for each one, right? Otherwise a signal would give you one rapid flash and stay on, right? I only ask because the two vids below, *I think*, show the same signal effect without that repeater wiring, but I could be getting my wires crossed.

Looks like your fishbone ones are the same as the Hansshow ones shown here. Although their reply to my description conflicts with what I'm actually seeing (headlights on, reflectors on)

It looks like these operate like what you are going for right, full illumination, although I don't see a braking setup to see if that works the same or not.

Yeah without tapping into the turn signals. These particular ones will still work just fine and when you hit the brake you just won't' get the quick hyper flash. Instead, you'll get one fill sequence and then they stay solid which as luck would have it on these looks just fine. Nobody would suspect any issue at all. The first set I had was a different story. They had the other style animation and if you hit the brakes those would also cycle once and then stay OFF.

Most US Spec Model 3's won't have the correct pin signals for the brake function to work since ours use the Brake and turn together (No separate turn signal pin). It's only when you add one like I did by tapping into the repeater do you enable the hyper flash brake effect.

Hope that helps

B

Does anyone have the issue when the headlights are on and the brake is pressed, only the driver side flashes then turns solid but the passenger side just turns solid? Also, with the lights off they just turn solid altogether without the flashing.
I have this issue with a 2021 model 3 using lights I purchased off aliexpress. I'm thinking about tapping the yellow on the left side