Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED rear reflector turn signals

GreenHokie

Sep 26, 2019
central Virginia
I wonder if I leave the dedicated turn signal connected but unplug the black/Red connector if that would disable the hyper flash brakes altogether and retain the Sequential turn signals. Hmmmmm

I bet the black wire is ground and would need to stay but the red one is what triggers the brake flashing.
Man, I hope that works. Give it a try and let me know!! 👍

Helicos

Apr 27, 2021
Canada
Man, I hope that works. Give it a try and let me know!! 👍
Would love to know the results of this as well. I have these coming in the mail though it'll probably be at least a few weeks before I get them. I can do without the break lights if they have quirks since the stock reflectors aren't lights, but I do really like the signalling effect.

GreenHokie

Sep 26, 2019
central Virginia
I’ll have to test & confirm this tomorrow, but pretty sure every time I step on the brake pedal or regen brake during the process of making a turn, the other reflector that is not actively signaling a turn, will initiate one sequential animation and then turn off. So, if I press and release the brake pedal two separate times during a turn, then the other reflector should perform two separate single sequential animations.
As a follow-up, I had my wife record a short video of me driving along our driveway with one of the turn signals on. I can confirm what I stated in my above post is true.

While this behavior sounds odd on paper, when I actually watch it on video, I really did not find it odd or objectionable. I think this is because in real world situations, you (or the other drivers behind you) will not be completely fixated on the rear reflectors. Hell, most other drivers probably wouldn’t even notice that your rear reflectors are on, much less doing a sequential animation or flashing. They have much better things to be doing while driving, like texting or chatting on the phone with the bestie!! 🤪

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Dysan911 and mrau

NpOverspeed

Jun 13, 2020
North Carolina
First, thanks to everyone for the information and discussion. I purchased the ones off of Amazon recommended by GreenHokie and am very happy with them despite the weird behavior that goes along having a them on a Model 3. However, I noticed something last night that is worth noting. I had my rear and side camera’s up on the center display and when I made a lane change the side camera on the turn signal side was almost completely washed out with red light. I cannot say for sure if there was moisture on the camera that amplified the light but I can verify the same effect on both sides. Sorry but no pictures because the weather was pretty severe in a few areas along the route (anybody in North Carolina will know what I mean)and my wife and son were in the car. I will likely do another experiment later and get some pictures.The main reason I am bringing this up is this light effect may be an issue if later on if/when there is a software update enabling the car to automatically bring up the side camera when the turn signal is activated. Something to consider.

NpOverspeed

Jun 13, 2020
North Carolina
First, thanks to everyone for the information and discussion. I purchased the ones off of Amazon recommended by GreenHokie and am very happy with them despite the weird behavior that goes along having a them on a Model 3. However, I noticed something last night that is worth noting. I had my rear and side camera’s up on the center display and when I made a lane change the side camera on the turn signal side was almost completely washed out with red light. I cannot say for sure if there was moisture on the camera that amplified the light but I can verify the same effect on both sides. Sorry but no pictures because the weather was pretty severe in a few areas along the route (anybody in North Carolina will know what I mean)and my wife and son were in the car. I will likely do another experiment later and get some pictures.The main reason I am bringing this up is this light effect may be an issue if later on if/when there is a software update enabling the car to automatically bring up the side camera when the turn signal is activated. Something to consider.
It took me long enough to post this so apologies for that. I attached a picture of of the turn signal “wash out” described above. It does not appear to be as bad as I previously thought. The picture was taken with some ambient light around but good weather. Still like the lights and no issues so far. 👍

Attachments

• F867190E-A0F6-40B7-92E6-68185B26F7CA.jpeg
    F867190E-A0F6-40B7-92E6-68185B26F7CA.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 18

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC