Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED rear reflector turn signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the issue when the headlights are on and the brake is pressed, only the driver side flashes then turns solid but the passenger side just turns solid? Also, with the lights off they just turn solid altogether without the flashing.

Reactions: UNCLETYS
Mine came from AliExpress today - Install was pretty easy - I used some thin wire to fish from the bottom up, and I did enlarge large the middle hole but a little with a drill bit. I did not remove the bumper and I did not need to get my hand down there. I did remove the taillights and the 10MM bolt on the bumper to have some room to work. Overall I am real pleased with them, glad I did not pay the RPM tax (RPM wants $225 and these were $66 shipped for the same item).

As an added bonus I was able to transfer my Lamin-X smoked covers that have been installed for 4 months over - no problem - that stuff is awesome.
Can you confirm that these fully work as described? Turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights?

Can you confirm that these fully work as described? Turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights?
I hooked up one of these and can confirm that these sequential light kits are NOT 100% fully functional, when installed in U.S. built Model 3's. This is because the Model 3's built in Europe/China have a slightly different wiring for the tail lights than U.S. built Model 3's.

So, here is what happens when you install/operate one of these kits:
1. Turn signal light on the reflector works perfectly
2. Emergency/Hazard light on the reflector works perfectly
3. Parking/head light on the reflector works perfectly
4. Brake lights on the reflector do NOT work/stay on. When you step on the brakes (or take your foot off the accelerator pedal to slow down), the reflector flashes once and then turns/stays off. This is due to the slight differences in how U.S. built Model 3's are wired vs European/China built Model 3's. All these kits are built & designed for European spec vehicles. There is a work-around to make the brake light function work properly, but it requires unplugging one of the two connectors supplied with this kit (I believe it is the connector with the blue and yellow wires, that you would unplug). When you unplug this connector, the brake lights on the reflector will work properly BUT you loose the turn signal function. So, you have to make a choice and decide which functionality is more important to you... the cool turn signal function or the brake light function on the reflector.

Personally, I wanted to have something with full functionality. So, I removed/returned my sequential reflector light kit. I bought the kit from Amazon with one day delivery and free returns, so zero risk to try/test out for myself to see if I like it.
However, I recently changed my mind and decided I can live without the brake light functionality, because having the cool sequential turn signal (and park/driving light functionality) outweigh not having the brake lights turn on (on the reflector). So, I have re-ordered the kit, this time from AliExpress (for $58 delivered). Also, the one I installed and re-purchased is not the fishbone pattern like what most everyone has. Rather, it has a more solid LED pattern, which I think looks much better (and is a better match to the existing OEM tail lights). See below.

Capture.JPG

I hooked up one of these and can confirm that these sequential light kits are NOT 100% fully functional, when installed in U.S. built Model 3's. This is because the Model 3's built in Europe/China have a slightly different wiring for the tail lights than U.S. built Model 3's.

So, here is what happens when you install/operate one of these kits:
1. Turn signal light on the reflector works perfectly
2. Emergency/Hazard light on the reflector works perfectly
3. Parking/head light on the reflector works perfectly
4. Brake lights on the reflector do NOT work/stay on. When you step on the brakes (or take your foot off the accelerator pedal to slow down), the reflector flashes once and then turns/stays off. This is due to the slight differences in how U.S. built Model 3's are wired vs European/China built Model 3's. All these kits are built & designed for European spec vehicles. There is a work-around to make the brake light function work properly, but it requires unplugging one of the two connectors supplied with this kit (I believe it is the connector with the blue and yellow wires, that you would unplug). When you unplug this connector, the brake lights on the reflector will work properly BUT you loose the turn signal function. So, you have to make a choice and decide which functionality is more important to you... the cool turn signal function or the brake light function on the reflector.

Personally, I wanted to have something with full functionality. So, I removed/returned my sequential reflector light kit. I bought the kit from Amazon with one day delivery and free returns, so zero risk to try/test out for myself to see if I like it.
However, I recently changed my mind and decided I can live without the brake light functionality, because having the cool sequential turn signal (and park/driving light functionality) outweigh not having the brake lights turn on (on the reflector). So, I have re-ordered the kit, this time from AliExpress (for $58 delivered). Also, the one I installed and re-purchased is not the fishbone pattern like what most everyone has. Rather, it has a more solid LED pattern, which I think looks much better (and is a better match to the existing OEM tail lights). See below.

View attachment 689133
Do you have a video of how these look in motion? Does it have the sequential effect like the fishbone ones?

Reactions: UNCLETYS
Do you have a video of how these look in motion? Does it have the sequential effect like the fishbone ones?
Sorry. No video. However, from what I saw/observed, I think the sequential effect on the solid LED reflectors looks much better than the fishbone ones. The motion across the solid LED pattern looks more "natural" & smooth, like they were originally designed/installed on the vehicle by Tesla. By contrast, the fishbone pattern/motion effect looks more "aftermarket"... like you're trying to copy something else that just wasn't meant to be with the vehicle. It's totally personal preference, of course...

Last edited:
Sorry. No video. However, from what I saw/observed, I think the sequential effect on the solid LED reflectors looks much better than the fishbone ones. The motion across the solid LED pattern looks more "natural" & smooth, like they were originally designed/installed on the vehicle by Tesla. By contrast, the fishbone pattern/effect looks more "aftermarket"... like you're trying to copy something else what wasn't meant to be with the vehicle. It's totally personal preference, of course...
Nice! Yea I agree that the fishbone do look a bit out of place.

Mind sharing the link? I wanna check it out.

Nice! Yea I agree that the fishbone do look a bit out of place.

Mind sharing the link? I wanna check it out.

Sure, this is the one that I have on order. Looks like there no less than 50 other vendors on AliExpress, who are offering/selling this exact same product.
Prices seem to be all over the place.

Sure, this is the one that I have on order. Looks like there no less than 50 other vendors on AliExpress, who are offering/selling this exact same product.

Thanks. I wish there was a video showing off the turn signal blinking. That's mostly what I'm interested in. I'll message the seller to see if he has a clip.

There's also these lights for $23. I like the way they look but I don't think they blink sequentially.
23.22US $ 29% OFF|LED Car Rear Bumper Light For Tesla Model 3 S X 2012 2016 Rear Reflector Tail Light Driving Brake Stop Fog Taillamp Car Parts| | - AliExpress

That one definitely does not blink. It only lights up when you turn on your head/parking lights and/or press the brake pedal. You can tell this one won't blink (no motion) because this kit lacks the separate wiring harness. Also, the length of this reflector is shorter (by about 10 mm) than the stock one that is currently on our vehicles. So, it won't be a perfect fit. I'd stay away from this one, if I were you.

Last edited:
That one definitely does not blink. It only lights up when you turn on your head/parking lights and/or press the brake pedal. You can tell this one won't blink (no motion) because this kit lacks the separate wiring harness. Also, the length of this reflector is shorter (by about 10 mm) than the stock one that is currently on our vehicles. So, it won't be a perfect fit. I'd stay away from this one, if I were you.
Oh I wasn't planning to order it but thank you for the info :)

Reactions: GreenHokie
I just ordered from the same seller as you. Let me know how yours look like since you'll get it first :)

I just ordered from the same seller as you. Let me know how yours look like since you'll get it first :)
Hey there. Unfortunately, that particular seller sent me a message indicating they could not ship the item due to what they called an “unqualified product quality inspection”. Not sure what the heck that really means, but they suggested I cancel the order. So, I did just that by selecting that particular order on my AliExpress account and clicking the cancel request button. The Seller responded and indicated my credit card will be refunded in 3-7 days. I was going to order the same item from another seller on AliExpress, but remembered that I have some reward points/credit on Amazon. With the credit applied, my net price for this item on Amazon was just a little more than the typical price on AliExpress. I decided the slightly lower price on AliExpress was not worth the additional hassle/wait/risk. So, I went ahead and re-ordered from Amazon with next day delivery. The reflectors were delivered today. So, I’ll install them tonight!

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
So, I installed the solid pattern (non-fishbone/non-barbwire) sequential reflectors last night. Pretty easy and plug&play, as described in the many YouTube videos out there. These (at least the ones I bought) are an exact fit to the OEM reflectors. So, fitment is perfect in my case. Naturally and as expected, these LED reflectors are a tiny bit thicker (deeper) than the OEM non-lit reflectors. Fortunately, alignment/fitment with the rear bumper is still perfect (because the OEM non-lit reflectors actually sit a little recessed to the surface of the rear bumper). So, these slightly thicker LED reflectors do not negatively impact fitment/look on the rear bumper IMO.

Everything works as expected and described in my previous post. Extremely pleased with the end result. The sequential turn signal effect is more awesome & satisfying in person than shown in any video, and pretty much a perfect match with the rear OEM turn lights, in terms of looks and function. Highly recommended!

Sorry. Too lazy to record and post a short video. However, for those interested in seeing the sequential effect/look of these solid pattern (non-fishbone/non-barbwire) LED’s, below is a video I found on YouTube showing someone’s Model Y fitted with the same solid pattern LED reflectors as mine. Hope this helps anyone considering one of these after-market reflectors.

Now, on to the next mod! Probably sequential front fog lights. I see there are currently two different looking/functioning sequential front fog light kits out there. So, trying to decide which one/type I like better.

Last edited: