Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED rear reflector turn signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to everyone who has shared their install experiences. After following this thread for weeks, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of solid signals for my Model Y and just need to determine which listing is the right fit. All the Aliexpress links I've seen posted were for the Model 3. Anyone successfully purchase and install these for the Model Y?

Reflector/lights look great. Do you have a link for the Amazon seller?
Thanks. Here is the one I ordered/installed from Amazon.

Unfortunately, I do believe there is a slight difference in reflector dimensions between the Model 3 and Y. So, this one from Amazon may not perfectly fit the Y. The good news is Amazon offers free shipping and free returns (with Prime membership). So, you can still order & try it with zero risk. Good luck!!

By the way, I did not have to drill out the OEM reflectors to remove them. While it required a little bit of effort, I was able to pop out the OEM reflectors (without any damage to the reflector clips) using one of those plastic trim removal tools. The wiring on the back of the aftermarket LED reflectors also fit perfectly into the center hole on the rear bumper. So, no drilling/enlarging was required of that center hole to fit and pass the wiring through the bumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrau
Thanks to everyone who has shared their install experiences. After following this thread for weeks, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of solid signals for my Model Y and just need to determine which listing is the right fit. All the Aliexpress links I've seen posted were for the Model 3. Anyone successfully purchase and install these for the Model Y?
Here is one on AliExpress for the Model Y. Note, their photos clearly show a Model 3. However, their detailed product description indicates it is indeed for the Y. I saw several of these for the Model Y on AliExpress (just pay attention to the product description, instead of the photos provided). Of course, to be absolutely sure, you can always send a message to the seller to confirm the product is indeed for the Y. Good luck!!

So, I installed the solid pattern (non-fishbone/non-barbwire) sequential reflectors last night. Pretty easy and plug&play, as described in the many YouTube videos out there. These (at least the ones I bought) are an exact fit to the OEM reflectors. So, fitment is perfect in my case. Naturally and as expected, these LED reflectors are a tiny bit thicker (deeper) than the OEM non-lit reflectors. Fortunately, alignment/fitment with the rear bumper is still perfect (because the OEM non-lit reflectors actually sit a little recessed to the surface of the rear bumper). So, these slightly thicker LED reflectors do not negatively impact fitment/look on the rear bumper IMO.

Everything works as expected and described in my previous post. Extremely pleased with the end result. The sequential turn signal effect is more awesome & satisfying in person than shown in any video, and pretty much a perfect match with the rear OEM turn lights, in terms of looks and function. Highly recommended!

Sorry. Too lazy to record and post a short video. However, for those interested in seeing the sequential effect/look of these solid pattern (non-fishbone/non-barbwire) LED’s, below is a video I found on YouTube showing someone’s Model Y fitted with the same solid pattern LED reflectors as mine. Hope this helps anyone considering one of these after-market reflectors.

Now, on to the next mod! Probably sequential front fog lights. I see there are currently two different looking/functioning sequential front fog light kits out there. So, trying to decide which one/type I like better.

Awesome!! Thank you for posting this. I'm definitely gonna order these. I'm waiting for the Aliexpress seller to refund me.

Reactions: GreenHokie
So, I installed the solid pattern (non-fishbone/non-barbwire) sequential reflectors last night. Pretty easy and plug&play, as described in the many YouTube videos out there. These (at least the ones I bought) are an exact fit to the OEM reflectors. So, fitment is perfect in my case. Naturally and as expected, these LED reflectors are a tiny bit thicker (deeper) than the OEM non-lit reflectors. Fortunately, alignment/fitment with the rear bumper is still perfect (because the OEM non-lit reflectors actually sit a little recessed to the surface of the rear bumper). So, these slightly thicker LED reflectors do not negatively impact fitment/look on the rear bumper IMO.

Everything works as expected and described in my previous post. Extremely pleased with the end result. The sequential turn signal effect is more awesome & satisfying in person than shown in any video, and pretty much a perfect match with the rear OEM turn lights, in terms of looks and function. Highly recommended!

Sorry. Too lazy to record and post a short video. However, for those interested in seeing the sequential effect/look of these solid pattern (non-fishbone/non-barbwire) LED’s, below is a video I found on YouTube showing someone’s Model Y fitted with the same solid pattern LED reflectors as mine. Hope this helps anyone considering one of these after-market reflectors.

Now, on to the next mod! Probably sequential front fog lights. I see there are currently two different looking/functioning sequential front fog light kits out there. So, trying to decide which one/type I like better.

Interesting that in this video the brake lights stay on even though it's a US spec'd model Y (Jersey plates). Did your brake lights stay on as well? Or is the Y wired differently than the 3 🤔

Interesting that in this video the brake lights stay on even though it's a US spec'd model Y (Jersey plates). Did your brake lights stay on as well? Or is the Y wired differently than the 3 🤔
Yep, your last comment/guess is correct. The Y is wired differently than the 3 (in the U.S.). So, all these LED reflector kits work 100% correctly with US built Y’s. Not sure if that is the case with earlier built Model Y’s in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: gyzmodo
Thanks. Here is the one I ordered/installed from Amazon.

Unfortunately, I do believe there is a slight difference in reflector dimensions between the Model 3 and Y. So, this one from Amazon may not perfectly fit the Y. The good news is Amazon offers free shipping and free returns (with Prime membership). So, you can still order & try it with zero risk. Good luck!!

By the way, I did not have to drill out the OEM reflectors to remove them. While it required a little bit of effort, I was able to pop out the OEM reflectors (without any damage to the reflector clips) using one of those plastic trim removal tools. The wiring on the back of the aftermarket LED reflectors also fit perfectly into the center hole on the rear bumper. So, no drilling/enlarging was required of that center hole to fit and pass the wiring through the bumper.
When you press the brakes, do they flash then turn solid or just straight to solid?

Can somebody confirm these actually work as a reflector and how reflective are they compare to the OEM one?
Are they retroreflectors that reflect the light back to the light source?
I can confirm these are less reflective than the OEM reflectors. They are still clearly visible when you shine a flash light (or headlights) on them. However, I definitely don’t see the same amount of reflection.
Regardless, I have zero concerns from a safety perspective because one would have to be almost blind (or simply not paying attention) to not see my aftermarket reflectors (or the reflectors on the OEM taillights) if my vehicle were parked along a dark street.

• Informative
That's the only part I must have breezed over that I didn't realize. I'm a bit disappointed that US Spec M3's lose the solid brake light feature. :( Shame there's no way to wire it up where you wouldn't have to give up one thing or another regarding Brakes or Sequential Turns signals. I want BOTH!. :)

That's the only part I must have breezed over that I didn't realize. I'm a bit disappointed that US Spec M3's lose the solid brake light feature. :( Shame there's no way to wire it up where you wouldn't have to give up one thing or another regarding Brakes or Sequential Turns signals. I want BOTH!. :)
I’m sure there is a way to hack/re-wire either the reflector kit or Tesla’s tail light wiring harness so that both turn signal and brake light function properly. However, not worth the time/effort/risk for me.

Initially, I was also disappointed with not having the brake light function on the reflectors (that was why I returned the reflectors). However, I ultimately changed my mind and decided the coolness factor of having the sequential turn signals far outweighs not having the brake light function. So, I re-purchased the reflectors and haven’t looked back since. When you turn on your headlights, the reflectors do light up and remain on (except whenever you press the brake pedal). So, you still get that effect of an illuminated reflector. I find myself driving around with my headlights always ON now, so everyone that I leave in the dust can see my cool reflectors. :cool: Definitely, one of my favorite mods right now…

Reactions: phaheem
So at night when the reflectors are lit up like a running/parking light and the brake is pressed they turn off and go dark? Or just won’t brighten up like a brake light?
Yes, to your first comment/question. The reflectors will flash once and then turn (& remain) completely off. Once the vehicle’s computer thinks you are no longer trying to stop the vehicle, the running lights in the reflector will turn back (& stay) on.

• Informative
Yes, to your first comment/question. The reflectors will flash once and then turn (& remain) completely off. Once the vehicle’s computer thinks you are no longer trying to stop the vehicle, the running lights in the reflector will turn back (& stay) on.

Ahh ok I thought that was how they would operate during daytime but at night I was expecting the low dim running light to remain on when the brakes are pressed. Not flash and go dark.. Won't that look strange though to see a running light sudden flash and go off . I think I"ll return these to Amazon.

Perhaps one day someone else will make one to work correctly on a US Spec M3.

I was just thinking about this a little more and the idea hit me. Wonder if these would work fully if you unplug the Turn Signal harness and connect that yellow/blue combo wire to the existing wire running the fender side amber turn signal. The fender camera/Turn signal combo is a dedicated turn signal only, so maybe a quick wiretap and run some new wire inside the car tucked along the door sill trim back to the taillights, etc.

Just a thought. This way the Black/REd wire that powers the LED bumper lights will stay lit and a new separate source for signal would be coming from the fender blinker.