Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Auto Lane Change Unavailable On Some Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed an odd issue sometime over the past couple of weeks. When autosteer is engaged on non-highway roads, the lane to the left isn’t recognized as a lane change target. Lane change to the right still works fine. The problem doesn’t exist on controlled access roads with autosteer or NoAP, which makes me doubt it’s software rather than a problem with the sensors.

Anyone else observed this recently? I’m thinking I’ll wait for another update or two to see if it gets resolved before scheduling anything.

Attachments

• 9FEE2D41-09D9-452D-BFDE-7E7C1FA72375.jpeg
    9FEE2D41-09D9-452D-BFDE-7E7C1FA72375.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 170
I’ve noticed an odd issue sometime over the past couple of weeks. When autosteer is engaged on non-highway roads, the lane to the left isn’t recognized as a lane change target. Lane change to the right still works fine. The problem doesn’t exist on controlled access roads with autosteer or NoAP, which makes me doubt it’s software rather than a problem with the sensors.

Anyone else observed this recently? I’m thinking I’ll wait for another update or two to see if it gets resolved before scheduling anything.

Yes, this problem arose about a week ago, exactly as you describe. I reported the bug, and received an update, thinking that there was a fix. Apparently, the update had nothing to do with the left auto lane change.

I wondered, too, if it was a sensor problem and how I should proceed with repairs. But since you have exactly the same problem, I think it must be a software problem.

• Informative
Reactions: silenteski

...meant to say “which makes me *think* it’s software rather than a problem with the sensors”

Tesla Mobile is scheduled to come look at the left auto lane change failure next week.
The problem seems to be a software problem, but I've only found two (nickID and me) with the problem, so now I think think it must be a sensor failure. I'll post after Tesla makes its evaluation.

• Informative
Reactions: silenteski
Can you please explain what you mean by left lane auto change?

I was out of the country and haven't yet driven the car since recent updates.
Is there now auto lane change in non-Navigate-on-Autopilot modes, where
AS will self-initiate lane changes to pass slower traffic? If not that, then what?

Can you please explain what you mean by left lane auto change?

I was out of the country and haven't yet driven the car since recent updates.
Is there now auto lane change in non-Navigate-on-Autopilot modes, where
AS will self-initiate lane changes to pass slower traffic? If not that, then what?
No, they haven’t made AS initiate the change. By “auto” I meant “I hit the turn signal, and AP handles changing in to the left lane”. In the picture I included above, you can see the display doesn’t indicate that the lane to my left is a lane change “target”, even though it’s clearly marked on the road and there’s moving traffic accurately rendered on the display.

I’ve noticed an odd issue sometime over the past couple of weeks. When autosteer is engaged on non-highway roads, the lane to the left isn’t recognized as a lane change target.
I saw this on an undivided but grade separated highway with navigate on autopilot. The lane change to the left (out of the climbing lane) wasn't consistently available. The lane change into the oncoming lane was consistently unavailable (which is a good thing... even where passing is permitted, I wouldn't trust autopilot with that). Also, last time I was there autopilot and navigate on autopilot were limited to the speed limit +5, but this time it wasn't.

As others note, Left Auto Lane Change worked fine and then it didn't-- and hasn't. I asked for service for this problem, which was scheduled for today. Last Friday I received the following from Tesla Mobile Service:

Hello, This is Robert with the Tesla Mid-South Service diagnostic team. I've identified the problem with your vehicle. The issue is due to a firmware bug that is not allowing the vehicle to do Left side lane changes. The Autopilot team is currently working on sorting this out and a fix should be available soon, and will be sent OTA to your vehicle. Thank you for your patience while we are sorting this out. I'm going to cancel your service appointment as there is no actionable repair at this time.

In the meantime, I find Auto Pilot (and therefore my Tesla) fairly useless. Every time I need to change to the left lane, I have to pull the car out of AP, make the lane change, and engage AP again, and again, and again . . .

Assuming we all have the same faulty firmware, I'm rather surprised this is not a MUCH bigger issue on Tesla forums.

• Informative
Reactions: Trevlan006
Looks like 2019.24.4 resolved this to some extent. I did a short drive and AP was changing lanes to the left most of the time on command. I did have one occurrence where it would not when I expected it to. I’ll know more on the commut tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3