Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Auto Lane Change Unavailable On Some Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having this issue as well. Recently I drove through WY and SD, and one of the highways will periodically add an additional "passing" lane. I noticed that if I was in the right lane, I could not use the stalk to auto-change to the left lane (And the display wouldn't even recognize it as a valid lane, as you pointed out in your picture), but if I was in the left lane, it would see and move to the right lane just fine. Very annoying.

I've seen this on several other roads as well.

I’ve noticed an odd issue sometime over the past couple of weeks. When autosteer is engaged on non-highway roads, the lane to the left isn’t recognized as a lane change target. Lane change to the right still works fine. The problem doesn’t exist on controlled access roads with autosteer or NoAP, which makes me doubt it’s software rather than a problem with the sensors.

Anyone else observed this recently? I’m thinking I’ll wait for another update or two to see if it gets resolved before scheduling anything.

I get this exact thing on highway 49 in California. It started about 6 weeks ago. Worked fine from delivery (dec 2018) until then. Received 24.4 while on travel but will verify it’s fixed later this week.

Reactions: silenteski
Hallelujah! The new update fixed it! Mostly, anyway. Unlike the very consistent right auto lane change, the revived left lane change is a bit timid, needing some urging, but it's working more times than not. Thanks, Tesla! And keep up the good work!

As others note, Left Auto Lane Change worked fine and then it didn't-- and hasn't. I asked for service for this problem, which was scheduled for today. Last Friday I received the following from Tesla Mobile Service:

Hello, This is Robert with the Tesla Mid-South Service diagnostic team. I've identified the problem with your vehicle. The issue is due to a firmware bug that is not allowing the vehicle to do Left side lane changes. The Autopilot team is currently working on sorting this out and a fix should be available soon, and will be sent OTA to your vehicle. Thank you for your patience while we are sorting this out. I'm going to cancel your service appointment as there is no actionable repair at this time.

In the meantime, I find Auto Pilot (and therefore my Tesla) fairly useless. Every time I need to change to the left lane, I have to pull the car out of AP, make the lane change, and engage AP again, and again, and again . . .

Assuming we all have the same faulty firmware, I'm rather surprised this is not a MUCH bigger issue on Tesla forums.

How did you ever drive before?

I am on 2020.48.12.1 ... still have the "not seeing left lane" issue. For some local roads, 4 lanes or 5 lanes, the car does not show/see the left lane for a mile stretch. I've contacted tesla a few times with video and pictures (with location and timestamps). One advisor basically told me to stop "complaining" as this is "normal", and, tesla internal documents say "the car will reliably seeing left lane if there is a center divide".

It used to see left lanes alright, then, one firmware update rendered it not seeing left lanes completely; Now, it just works intermittently, since I have the FSD, this makes FSD less "FSD".

Tesla Mobile is scheduled to come look at the left auto lane change failure next week.
The problem seems to be a software problem, but I've only found two (nickID and me) with the problem, so now I think think it must be a sensor failure. I'll post after Tesla makes its evaluation.
Yep, mine does it too. Clearly it is a software bug and I doubt that service can do anything about it.

I encountered this issue today with my brand new LR Y. It gave me left lane change unavailable on a road where I used that feature routinely with my 2015 S with AP1. It is a bummer if the functionality of the AP (and I have FSD) is less useful than what was offered 6 years ago. So far not entirely impressed.

Same issue for me. The car sometimes does not “see” the lane to my left, even though it sees cars in the left lane and always sees the lane to my right. I contacted Tesla chat support during a recent trip. They recommended recalibration of my cameras. That seemed to help for a while, but ultimately the problem continued on the same trip. Next they suggest scheduling a service appointment.

Attachments

• 9842924D-62E5-4B50-A582-341C1358F779.jpeg
    9842924D-62E5-4B50-A582-341C1358F779.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 63