Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left blinker indicator won’t turn on after software update to 8.0.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just accepted the latest software upgrade on Model X (offered yesterday, the changelog said 8.0 Enhancements, but this is not the original 8.0 offered a few weeks ago.)

Since then, the left blinker indicator (on the instrument panel) only blinks once, then stops. The actual blinker (lamp outside the car) flashes at twice the normal frequency. The right blinker appears to be working fine on both counts.

See video attached: Model X Left Blinker Broken

I’ve tried all the ways of resetting / power-cycling the car (1. hold both scroll buttons down to reboot the touchscreen, 2. hold both buttons above the scroll buttons to reboot the instrument panel, 3. Controls > Emergency Power Shut Off > restart using the brake pedal.)

None of these seem to have fixed it. Has anybody else seen anything similar? Should I take it in for service? This would be the third time in as many months, for a brand new car, so I’m not looking forward to it.

Can't find something on the forums on this, had the same issue as well with front left blinker not working anymore... Other blinkers would click twice the normal frequence...
Stange is that when I activated the 4 blinkers (emergency signal) at the same time, there the left ftont blinker was working... SO I am not sure that it is really a hardware issue...
Last night I got the latest 8.x update and first impression is that the blinkers now are doing this at the 'normal' speed again... Wasn't able to check if the front left blinker is working again, traveling for business at this moment... Will doublecheck soon...
But it looks more for me now a software issue...

Car seems to think there is a hardware problem with the blinkers. It's entirely possible that the software is messed up, not the hardware, so try resetting by holding down both thumbwheels. Sometimes that's necessary after an update. Otherwise, if it is the hardware, might need a trip to the SC.

Car seems to think there is a hardware problem with the blinkers. It's entirely possible that the software is messed up, not the hardware, so try resetting by holding down both thumbwheels. Sometimes that's necessary after an update. Otherwise, if it is the hardware, might need a trip to the SC.[/QUOTE
Did both resets already, did not help... But now with the latest software update things got changed...
Have an appointment anyway for some other minor issues in 2 weeks, we'll see there...
To be continued

One of the things I learned yesterday is that if the tail light assembly isn't plugged in, the turn signal behaves like you describe - the panel shows a single flash, then stops until it detects the lights plugged in again.

It seems unlikely that the firmware update caused the wires to be unplugged/disconnected - but maybe it caused the module which senses the connection to read wrong?

Thanks for all the replies! I did a full walk-around and noticed that the left rear blinkers + left brake light (one of the two assemblies) is dead, so I ended up scheduling a service appointment. We’ll see.

> It seems unlikely that the firmware update caused the wires to be unplugged/disconnected - but maybe it caused the module which senses the connection to read wrong?

Looks like the other way around. The light and/or firmware might have been broken even before, but now the instrument cluster *knows* it’s broken.

> This is a known problem for earlier Xs.

Is there a list of such known issues so I can inspect everything before my next service? Mine had wind noise from both front windows, and it turns out that was a known issue too. Then the charger hatch wouldn’t close — yep, known issue.

I’m down to my third service appointment in as many months, and I wish they inspected and fixed everything that’s a known issue in a single appointment. (All three of the issues earlier were present since the day I got it; just not revealed. I am not sure about the blinkers, because the instrument panel lamp was blinking correctly until now.)

Unless it is a safety issue, Tesla generally only replaces parts after they fail (or intermittently fail). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I suspect that these were all broken since manufacturing, but just were never revealed. I discovered wind noise from the left side after they fixed the right side (because the right side was much louder). The charging hatch, I used to close manually earlier, so I never discovered that it didn’t close correctly electronically. Probably the same with the blinker: only discovered it after the software update started showing the correct status.