TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Left Camera Video Recordings Corrupted

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Owen_H, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Owen_H

Owen_H Member

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here. If yes, please kindly direct to the thread.

My Model 3's currently on firmware version 2019.5.4 (didn't receive any new update for a while...). I checked the video recordings in my USB this morning before I was going to format it since it's full.

I noticed that the video recordings from both SavedClips and RecentClips folders show that the left camera (format: YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm-left_repeater) failed to display image.
    Some videos (from the left camera) only show upper 1/3 of the images and 2/3 are black or green. In addition, the video sizes from the left camera (~4,000 KB) are noticeably smaller than the front and right cameras (~29,500KB) for a 1 min. clip. It even has some 0 KB (empty/corrupted) files while the other two cameras still worked as expected.

It seems a firmware bug to me since I can still see the image even if the bottom 2/3 image is green. So, the hardware (the leff camera) should be find?

I've scheduled a service next week.Has anyone run into the same problem?
    Thank you guys in advance.

TeslaCam 201903071256.png TeslaCam 201903071722.png TeslaCam video green.jpg

• Like x 1
  2. bmms8

bmms8 Member

Known problem, 2019.8.4 fixes it

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Owen_H

Owen_H Member

Thank you very much for the reply. Will have to wait for Tesla to push a firmware update to me.....

• Like x 1
  4. bmms8

bmms8 Member

Big batch went out last night so hopefully you'll get it soon!

5. BBone

BBone Member

Very good and thanks for the info. I was having problems with my left camera either corrupting the image occassionally or somethings having a null file for the left camera. I'm on .3 so will wait for .4 before checking/nagging again.

6. dennisvab

dennisvab Member

How are you seeing what updates are pushed out and when?

7. BBone

BBone Member

Curious why this bug affects the left camera only? Not the right or front?

8. Xevex

Xevex Member

Weird, mine updated to 2019.8.4 and my right camera recording is corrupted now. Didn't happen before the update.

• Informative x 1
  9. pmc1

pmc1 Member

Interesting. I had a very similar problem with the left camera having partially corrupted files. Service tried fixing it with firmware updates but ended up replacing the camera.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. ybbor

ybbor Member

I'm on 2019.8.3 and during the daytime, my right repeater camera is 0 bytes 98% of the time, left one usually has data but mostly corrupt. At night it gets better; seems to record correctly 75% of the time. Corruption only appears in sentry mode; as soon as I put the card in drive, all cameras start recording perfectly. It's very odd.

• Informative x 1
  11. Owen_H

Owen_H Member

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue as you are. My left camera seems back to 70% normal at night. I haven't tried to save a dashcam footage when driving though.

12. Dante

Dante Member

I think I'm on 8.4, and just checked my sentry mode captures yesterday: right repeater videos are dead; left occasionally has the green 'blips' on half the screen (but they generally go away shortly after the video starts). Thought it was just me... good to know it's a known issue!

13. GDowe

GDowe New Member

FWIW: I have 2019.8.5 and still have the exact same problems described above.

• Informative x 2
  14. No42

No42 Member

• Informative x 1
  15. skylander

skylander Member

I am on 2019.8.5. I noticed this problem on my left camera too. It's not yet fixed.

16. Fernand

Fernand Member

I'm on 2019.8.5 and Left Saved files showed small size, big compression block-artifacts and green bottom, then suddenly tonight right in the middle of a Sentry Mode saved set, the problem went away. Waiting to see when/if it returns.

17. bcwinc

bcwinc Member

I am on version 12.1.1(just updated last night). I had the same issues with the one repeater camera and it is still corrupt and usually green on the lower 2/3 of video if it is readable.

18. Fernand

Fernand Member

Mine did that for a bit, then suddenly for no reason it went back to normal. I looked over the files and my impression was that it was a specific section of the storage. There's always compression and error correction going on, and these files show compression artifacts. Maybe there was a problem in writing to the media. Can you try reformatting the whole USB stick and see?

19. Fernand

Fernand Member

I just got a message from Tesla addressing problems I had,
    and they suggested this:
    • Touchscreen reboot: Hold down your foot on the brake while holding in the two scroll wheel buttons (around 20 seconds) on the steering wheel. Do this until the Tesla ‘T’ appears on the touchscreen, and then let go for a restart.
    • Powercycle: Controls > Settings > Safety and Security > POWER OFF and confirm. Tap the brake pedal to turn the car on.
    In addition, I had my phone in airplane mode, and waited
    a full 3 minutes before touching anything while power off.

This solved my immediate problems. Sounds like a good
    thing to try.

20. Owen_H

Owen_H Member

Hi, I've tried formatting the USB drive several times and even tested by using a different one. Unfortunately, I got the same result...:(