Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Camera Video Recordings Corrupted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mobile service checked my car three weeks ago. He pushed firmware 8.5 to my car and told me that everything checked out and cannot be a hardware issue.
BUT.... the left camera recording came back to normal after the update and the right camera recording is corrupted....

Wow. Stubborn one. My dad went into a drug store one time looking
for the most powerful bug poison. He asked about this, and that and
would this kill them, and to everything the pharmacist said no, and
shrugged his shoulders. So my dad says "Then WHAT?" and the old
man says "learn to love them". Are we at that stage LOL?

One clue I noticed from my experience and from reading here is that the corrupted area is just a static portion of the camera image (if you could actually see it). If something moving enters that portion of the screen it will clear up and start working. So it can look really bad and then suddenly clear up.

That suggests a problem with the video encoding. I have no idea what their particular encoder is doing, but it used to be that they would encode reference frames containing the whole image and then the following frames would just encode differences from that. So if the reference frame is missed or forgotten or otherwise screwed up, all you would see would be the portions of the image that have been updated since the video began. The static portions would basically have no info. That's seems to be what's happening with the dash cam. On the minus side, as long as it stays static it never clears up, which suggests a very long time between reference frames. That seems strange. Maybe due to motion sensing use?

On the plus side, if you see the video problem it's because nothing is happening. If that camera does see motion and and you really want that recording, the video should clear up and start working normally.

One clue I noticed from my experience and from reading here is that the corrupted area is just a static portion of the camera image (if you could actually see it). If something moving enters that portion of the screen it will clear up and start working. So it can look really bad and then suddenly clear up.

That suggests a problem with the video encoding. I have no idea what their particular encoder is doing, but it used to be that they would encode reference frames containing the whole image and then the following frames would just encode differences from that. So if the reference frame is missed or forgotten or otherwise screwed up, all you would see would be the portions of the image that have been updated since the video began. The static portions would basically have no info. That's seems to be what's happening with the dash cam. On the minus side, as long as it stays static it never clears up, which suggests a very long time between reference frames. That seems strange. Maybe due to motion sensing use?

On the plus side, if you see the video problem it's because nothing is happening. If that camera does see motion and and you really want that recording, the video should clear up and start working normally.

I have the similar issue. But I assume both cameras should use the same encoding. It doesn't make sense it works on two (front and right) but not the left one. But it seems more a software issue to me. But I do think that could be compatbility (or driver) issue too.

Anyone getting this? It pops up every time I drive into my garage! I had a tech come out to my house and he replaced the camera in the left repeater and reinstalled the software but it obviously didn’t correct it!

Attachments

• B9CA34DB-EF53-49D6-9950-AF47784C726A.jpeg
    B9CA34DB-EF53-49D6-9950-AF47784C726A.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 69