Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left dash speaker crackle???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is at service for a few minor things one of them was a left dash speaker crackle that just randomly does it. My service manager called me today and said that they think it's happening when a text message is coming through or just about to. And want me to bring my phone in to test it. I said I would but when I asked them if it is the problem what can be done to fix it I was told nothing really it's the phone interfering with the internet chip in hitherto car. Anyone else had this problem. I LOVE my service team here. So I'm not trying to bad mouth them just trying to see if there is a work around that someone else may have found. I don't want to live with the crackle and I don't have the option of changing phone carriers.

I have noticed the same thing. The crackle seems to occur when my phone is receiving data. I have also noticed that it is worse if my phone is sitting in the tray below the monitor. The noise occurs quite a bit less if I place my phone in the center console at the back near the USB jacks, away from the monitor.

Wow. I've been wondering about this same issue. I didn't think it was related to the phone since the kind of "crackle" I hear coming from the speaker is different from what I have heard before when a cellphone is placed near a speaker (such as near computer desktop speakers). Anyway, interesting to hear others have heard the same thing (and it's only ever the left front dash speaker)...

I noticed this about 3 minutes after owning the car... Annoying given I spent more for the upgraded stereo. The noise is the loudest when phone is placed in the tray below the main screen. It is quieter but still noticeable when placed on the floor between the two front seats.

The noise can definitely be improved but unfortunately it usually requires a significant hardware redesign. Essentially either the amplifier, analog circuit, or some kind of receiver is getting interference from the phone. It is a delicate line between blocking the phone interference within the car stereo and preventing the car stereo from working properly (receive data and radio signals).

Can they do better? Yes. Will your car get an upgrade to fix this? Likely not. This seems more like it should be something Tesla should address in future vehicles.

one thing that may improve the situation is the drop-in center console. It won't fix the under screen tray but may give you a place to set the phone that is far enough away from the analog circuitry to eliminate the noise.

Cell phone interference is common in all car radios. What radio are you listening to at the time? Am, fm, xm, Internet, USB? It's the same philosophy that has lead to bans of cell phone usage on planes (although, that's a bit over the top.). I used to hear it all the time back in the day in an accura integra. Might also be more common if you're on Internet radio and you have AT&T as your cell phone carrier. Unfortunately, someone smarter than I might know otherwise, but. Assume this is pretty tough to fully prevent.

- - - Updated - - -

one thing that may improve the situation is the drop-in center console. It won't fix the under screen tray but may give you a place to set the phone that is far enough away from the analog circuitry to eliminate the noise.
The pocket on the front of the seat between your legs and the cup holders that aren't great for cups are other good cell phone spots.

I picked my car up from service yesterday after speaking with them they did in fact confirm that it is our phones that are causing the crackle. More specifically certain carriers reacting against the card in our he cars. Apparently the techs are working on something to out a barrier between the two but in the he mean time there really isn't anything they can do. Even the console doesn't really help.

Wow, this is crazy! Last post to this topic was 2014, and here it is 2017 and I'm having (apparently) the same problem with my brand new Model X. And it possibly is caused by my phone, although it's not text messages coming in. I was playing SiriusXM on my iPhone app through bluetooth to the car, and when I paused the music is when the crackling noise appeared. Tomorrow I'll make sure the radio is set to "Streaming" instead of "Phone" and listen for the noise...