Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also got it this morning for most of my drive whenever the low sun was in the path of my left side driver door.
First time I have seen this message ; is also first drive since I updated to the most recent firmware 40.2 or whatever it is ; sounds related to me.

I'm wondering if most/all of you are parking in a garage, seeing it with the change in temp (condensation) and then it's better once the car acclimates to the temp, and condensation resolves. I have this issue lately, too, and I've pulled over and seen condensation. Always L (driver's side) pillar camera, facing the sun (so it warms, and I get condensation).

I'm wondering if most/all of you are parking in a garage, seeing it with the change in temp (condensation) and then it's better once the car acclimates to the temp, and condensation resolves. I have this issue lately, too, and I've pulled over and seen condensation. Always L (driver's side) pillar camera, facing the sun (so it warms, and I get condensation).

That’s how all my fogging is related (b pillars, tail lights etc). Car fogs within minutes of leaving my garage into damp, 40-50F weather here in Seattle.

For me, yes I'm pulling out of my garage at 4am, however as soon as I get the message I pulled over to check and the view of the camera is free and clear. Then once I get back in and start driving again, the message comes again. It's always on the right door pillar for me, nowhere else. I get the message off and on about 5 to 6 times during my commute.

It's a blinded by the light thing.
Not for me.

SR+, FSD. 2019.40.2.1

I got it the first time when I was on a freeway and it was teeming down rain. I first got it on the left side.

I pulled into a stop area and cleaned the camera lens area with a cloth. When I started driving the warning went away. A few minutes later I got the same warning for the right side. I repeated the process. The warnings resumed intermittently.

Since then, I have experienced the warnings at least once a day in rain, in dry weather, in the daytime, in the evening. I park outside so it is not a temperature change issue. Today I got the same message once for the front cameras and once for a side camera.

I’m on a Christmas road trip from Austin, TX through Nashville, Lexington,KY and soon Atlanta and then back to TX.

I first saw the fender message on Dec 22 driving on a pitch black freeway repeatedly in central KY. I also have seen it repeatedly on dark country roads in KY. I’ve seen it not with autopilot on and off.

I have been getting the camera issues since the last update. I have had front, left and right camera warnings. Whilst most of them appear to be sun related, I haven't been concerned, however, I have also noticed it appearing during dull days. Maybe software correctable, I do hope so.

I just had this warning come on repeatedly on my brand new M3P+ (took possession 28 Dec evening). I was driving roughly NW about 1:40 PM with the sun between 30 and 40 degrees above the horizon. I got the warning about the left pillar camera. I stopped and cleaned it (no obvious signs of condensation) and the right one as well. I continued getting the warning. About ten minutes I turned around, retracing my route. Very soon, I started getting the warning for the right side.

Last night my car upgraded to 2019.40.50.5.

I searched and could not find this message.

Driving with AP this morning on highway and this message popped up:;

Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded
Clear camera or wait for it to regain visibility

I noticed that the morning sun was directly on my door. AP continued to work except for auto lane change in the left direction. When I would turn away from the sun the message would disappear. When I stopped and checked cameras they were clear. I did a reboot just to make sure it was not a fluke message.

On the way home I would get the Right Door message when turned toward the sun and disappear when turned away from sun.

HW 2.5 and EAP only.

Has anyone else seen this message?
I realize this is an old post but I had that problem yesterday, 1/21/2020. It happened on both 45 min legs of an appointment. I am almost positive the right camera was the culprit on the trip in, and the (definitely) left camera was the culprit on the trip home. It was a sunny day with temp below freezing. What's interesting and just occurred to me that is precisely where the sun would be as I was traveling east on the first leg and west on the second. In another post on here the OP said the SC rep told him that was not normal. On a response I got to my via app SC appointment said that was perfectly normal. Which is it? There seems to be some disagreement on whether the B columns are heated. Does anyone definitively know? This would be in an Oct 2018 Model 3.