Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera(s) blocked or blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded" and "Door pillar camera blocked or blinded"

Anyone else getting messages like this?

Ever since the last update I seem to be getting this message at least every other trip.

There looks like there might be some condensation inside the glass by the camera but haven't had the chance to properly inspect it.

Anyone know what the fix is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same, didn't know if its just the shitty weather at the moment or something more 'internal' are you able to see the view from the camera from the console to see what its visibility is like?

Same here .. i put it down to dark roads not giving the camera enough to “see” to keep it happy. Though my car is getting dirty so it might just be that. It always seems to vanish for me once I reach a main road and some lighting/cars to keep the camera happy

Mine (fender though) was a camera issue, just replaced. Although it was playing up before the update, the change of messages from this update did give more info and maybe a higher frequency of messages, or it felt like it anyway. They told me that they can check the cameras remotely so if it happened again I should raise it by the app and they'll do that.

Thats not to say I don't still get these messages. I do, but they're much less frequent, no longer almost all on one camera and are explainable by weather, condensation etc. Annoyingly, it's to be expected in certain conditions. Essentially that's British ones!

I think HVAC before departure is meant to reduce the condensation issue. It also helps with regen. A bit tangential but I suspect if you can coincide this with "just in time" charging then it all goes hand in hand, but until that's properly automated I can't be bothered.

Same here .. i put it down to dark roads not giving the camera enough to “see” to keep it happy. Though my car is getting dirty so it might just be that. It always seems to vanish for me once I reach a main road and some lighting/cars to keep the camera happy

I'm not certain but do recall reading that the pillar cameras had heating. Which might explain why the warming comes on for me when car is cold but disappears after a few mins.

I'm not certain but do recall reading that the pillar cameras had heating. Which might explain why the warming comes on for me when car is cold but disappears after a few mins.
I stuck a thermal imaging camera car and specifically looked for warming there - nothing obvious, not even airflow - although I do have a leak in the roof which may reduce airflow from other exits, like door handles. Windscreen cameras are heated though - the heating element runs part way down the passenger side of the screen.

What the eye cannot normally see - what an IR camera tells us on a cold morning

Almost certainly a software sensitivity change. Random messages like this come and go with new software updates.

I suspect that it was happening before but not reported. However whenever it is reported on my S I pull over and find there is significant condensation B pillars +/- front cam, save a clip, make notes in the book i keep in the car (date/time/temp/weather etc) and sometimes take phone pics of the condensation (but after x pics it's pointless).
Still waitng for mobile service to give a date

It is more of an annoyance as it takes up a big portion of the right hand side of the screen and you can't get rid of it. I just had a 25 mile drive and it came on and off 6 times. Just seen on the US forums there are lots of people complaining about it, probably fixed in the next update!

Its only there when pertinent? You could go around a bend and the blind spot disappears, the around another bend and the camera is blinded again. I can see the point about not being able to clear it - but you get that with others, just like the previous blind spot message, or bad weather detected etc and no one ever complain of those to same extent? This one seems to be causing more angst. Maybe time of year making main problem more common and the message being so particular now.