TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Left elbow nerve compression and tesla autopilot

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by BenT, Feb 1, 2016.

1. BenT

BenT Member

Today I saw a neurologist and had nerve tests because of tingling and numbness in my left little (pinky) finger. It seems my ulnar nerve is compressed at the elbow. This is the nerve you hit when you knock your "funny bone". This nerve can be affected from resting your elbow on a desk etc or even from sleeping on one side. It may be a coincidence but in my case I note that using autopilot I tend to rest my left elbow on the centre console. I wonder if this is contributing. I am now making an effort to put my arms by my side with the hands rested on the 6 o'clock position of the steering wheel. I am thinking of getting extra padding for the Centre console which has a leather trim but is quite firm. Has anyone else had similar symptoms?

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have not. But the center arm rests are unnecessarily hard, IMO. Padding might help.

3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Unlikely. Speaking as a retired orth surgeon. You might temporarily irritate it that way, but usually the problem is chronic scarring with the term " chronic", meaning length of time, not severity. Usually cured by release of the nerve and transposition from behind to forward of the elbow.

4. paulp

paulp Member

Feel sorry for you. Had something similar years ago from too much use of a hammer. It affected my entire hand, and took many months to heal.
    I also rest on the armrest, but no adverse affects, although at the start of tesla ownership the back of my head was getting sore. Have since learnt to have the skull against the headrest before spiritted application of the quiet pedal. No more sore head.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

I'm definitely debating what options I have there, that arm rest is rock hard. I wonder if I found arm rests from a premium interior vehicle if they are any better?

6. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

7. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

Sorry,but you are out of date. Recent, well done, controlled studies show >80% Dellon I and ~65% Dellon II will improve without surgical care. Multiple other studies, about 10-15 years old now, demonstrate that for ~90% of the population, there is no advantage to anterior transposition vs simple decompression, so long as the decompression is done thoroughly but not to the point of instability.

8. ColinA

ColinA Member

Ouch... can we talk about cars again please? :)

9. paulp

paulp Member

The centre arm rest is not rock hard. Mine has sponging under the leather. A rock on the other hand would not move under a finger press.

10. AndrewNSW

AndrewNSW Member

Hi Ben, I got the following actually for the rear cup holders but it also effectively raises the armrests substantially which I find much more comfortable. I have a shoulder issue before I get these and it certainly helped. I'm not a tall person though with at may make a difference to their comfort. I think they are slightly more padded than the originals. The leather colour is a perfect match (mine is tan) and they are very well made.

Tesla Model S PARZ Rear Seat Cup Holder

11. ColinA

ColinA Member

They look really nice Andrew... expensive, but very nice. Do you know what they charged you for freight? My experience with Evannex is they have great products, but are very steep on freight costs to AU.

12. AndrewNSW

AndrewNSW Member

Yes you are right Colin, straight after I ordered it I realised I should have bought it in US$ and shipped it to a freight forwarder (myus.com) in the US then to me which would have also kept it under the $1,000 GST threshold. It looks like the $AUS price they have now is also higher I'm guessing due to the exchange rate.

Actually when they went to install it we found Tesla's design had changed slightly for their armrest sliding rails so Evannex paid for a local company here to fabricate new sliders for me. Very good service from Evannex as they could have just got me to return them and I think they paid about $350 to get it done.

All in all, while expensive probably the best thing I added to my car since I spend 3+ hrs driving daily and it's so much more comfortable for me.

13. ColinA

ColinA Member

interstingly, whilst the direct link to the product you gave works, it's not listed under any of their menus, so perhaps they don't sell it anymore for the very reason you mentioned. I've emailed them to ask.

14. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

That is a lot of driving…so the price for comfort is absolutely justified. In case numb bum becomes a reality, try a Tempur Car Comforter. You won’t be disappointed. Not inexpensive either ~ $450 at Domayne.

Car Comforter | Car Comfort | Tempur Australia Travel

TEMAU-Car-Comforter-1.jpg TEMAU-Car-Comforter-Hero.jpg

15. AndrewNSW

AndrewNSW Member

Thanks Whitestar - will call in and have a look at them. No numb bum yet but anything to help comfort would be great! I got the next gen seats which I do find very comfortable - so far that is (just hit 10,000 kms :) interestingly I'm guessing 6,000+ kms would have been driven by the autopilot, so more than by me...)

16. green1

green1 Active Member

Mine does not move no matter how hard I press on it. it is quite literally "rock" hard, as it has no more give than a rock would. Do you have the premium interior by any chance? If so, and you say there is some padding to the armrest, I may try to find an armrest from a premium interior car.

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

There is some slight "give" in my armrests. I have a signature car, so i guess i have the premium interior. October 2014 build.

18. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

My build is October 2015, non-premium interior and the arm rest is not rock hard at all....

-ECIT

19. paulp

paulp Member

Premium interior april and sept build, padded armrests.

20. Mark E

Mark E Member

Later model cars armrests are softer. I discovered that with a loaner.