Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left front wheel rubs on turns and braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 S, 60,000 miles. We bought it new. Left front tire rubs hard on inner fender when turning or braking. It seems to not have as much clearance as right front. Tires are 2 years old, proper size for 19" wheels. I'm not near a service center. We live where roads are heavily salted and on 2 other cars I have had coil springs rust and break. This car has never been in an accident. Does this sound as simple as replacing front struts? (Spring suspension, not air suspension.). When not trying to turn or brake, car drives perfectly. When rubbing, the noise is extremely loud, a shreeek that would wake the dead.

If it's not the wheel liner, also make sure the brake dust shield is not touching the rotor. There's not much clearance there, and you could have built up some debris on the edge of the shield that's touching the rotor, or something could have hit the shield and bent it.

I would also pull the pads out and clean/relube the edges and the pins. You may also find the caliper has corrosion/rust that needs to be filed off for a good fit. My 2015 was originally a Chicago car. I found the brakes to be pretty weak so I replaced the pads and rotors. In the process I found this and cleaned it:

front brake bracket.jpg

The car didn't make any noise, but with salt, it's anyone's guess.

Upvote 0
2017 S, 60,000 miles. We bought it new. Left front tire rubs hard on inner fender when turning or braking. It seems to not have as much clearance as right front. Tires are 2 years old, proper size for 19" wheels. I'm not near a service center. We live where roads are heavily salted and on 2 other cars I have had coil springs rust and break. This car has never been in an accident. Does this sound as simple as replacing front struts? (Spring suspension, not air suspension.). When not trying to turn or brake, car drives perfectly. When rubbing, the noise is extremely loud, a shreeek that would wake the dead.
Do you have visual wear on the inner fender? Can you please share a picture?

Upvote 0
OP here. Had our car flat bedded to Henrietta, NY Tesla service on 1/28/23. Today Service got back to me for authorization to install new front suspension links and lower control arms. Est. cost is above $1,600. I don't see where my 1/2017 build car is covered by the recall (see TSB-17-31-0001). And if anyone has a copy of this TSB, please post it. Service said "well, the car is 6 years old". I said "I've done 200,000 miles on Fords that reached 10 years old, without having this go wrong". I have asked them to save the parts they remove.

Upvote 0
I have over 200k miles on my 2013. I have replaced front upper control arms (due to worn ball joints) on both sides, a forward link, a sway bar link, both front wheel bearings... Suspension parts wear out eventually. What's different here is the clearances are very tight. For example, I've had scraping noises due to tire shops putting slightly thicker weights on the wheels. I have to make sure they use small ones when I have the wheels balanced. I also once had brand new snow tires rub on the liner even though they were the correct tire size.

Of course another difference is Tesla parts and labor are more expensive. I mostly buy parts from Tesla and replace them myself.

Reactions: Dukeybootie
Upvote 0
I have over 200k miles on my 2013. I have replaced front upper control arms (due to worn ball joints) on both sides, a forward link, a sway bar link, both front wheel bearings... Suspension parts wear out eventually. What's different here is the clearances are very tight. For example, I've had scraping noises due to tire shops putting slightly thicker weights on the wheels. I have to make sure they use small ones when I have the wheels balanced. I also once had brand new snow tires rub on the liner even though they were the correct tire size.

Of course another difference is Tesla parts and labor are more expensive. I mostly buy parts from Tesla and replace them myself.

I am at 168k miles on my 2015 and am scheduled for replacement of front upper + rear control arms for the same reason (just general wear and tear, nothing acute). Did you notice any subjective improvement in ride or suspension noise after your suspension work was completed?

Upvote 0
Yes, some of the repairs were done due to clunking type noises. Once I figured out and replaced the worn part, the clunk went away. I don't recall ever having any ride or handling issues.
But the first control arm (a few years ago); I was working on something else (I don't remember what), and when I grabbed hold of something to change my angle that something moved. Upper ball joint was really worn out. I had no idea before that, so I was glad to have noticed it.
The wheel bearings were making their typical moaning noise when they wore out, first noticeable around a bend on the highway.

• Informative
Reactions: Dukeybootie
Upvote 0
Just put my snows on yesterday and now it is making a rubbing sound in reverse when turning full.

I don't remember that happening last year. Tires are the same 245/45/R19

My all seasons were a bit worn in front, so I already purchased new tires to go on in the spring. Is that extra couple 32nds making a difference now, with one more year of suspension wear and tear??

I don't have air suspension.

Upvote 0