Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Handed Robot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
Taken out of the Investor Forum... this is a discussion on Left vs Right handedness of objects in our world as it applies to Tesla Robot, learning, and utility. This led to some back and forth on why this would matter and the assumption it would use whatever is around. However, that might cause uneven wear for the right hand vs left, given our world. It's a worthy point.

Further, whether or not a learned task while using the right hand, could simply be mirrored at the local level (assuming the correct sissors were used for each hand and all things symetrical). I still hold a tiny bit of doubt it's not just a mirroring solution if we truely allow the AI to learn naturally vs hard-coded. And last I checked, it's still hard for me to use my right hand.

Then someone didn't think the scope was anything beyond sissors, and wondered what else is right handed. Shocked to read that, it's just a different world whether driving a car, signing at the register, or shaking someone's hand. People do not realize the difference (except for the lucky 10% of us).

So mirrored, or learned both ways? What's you're take?

Reactions: pilotSteve
Taken out of the Investor Forum... this is a discussion on Left vs Right handedness of objects in our world as it applies to Tesla Robot, learning, and utility. This led to some back and forth on why this would matter and the assumption it would use whatever is around. However, that might cause uneven wear for the right hand vs left, given our world. It's a worthy point.

Further, whether or not a learned task while using the right hand, could simply be mirrored at the local level (assuming the correct sissors were used for each hand and all things symetrical). I still hold a tiny bit of doubt it's not just a mirroring solution if we truely allow the AI to learn naturally vs hard-coded. And last I checked, it's still hard for me to use my right hand.

Then someone didn't think the scope was anything beyond sissors, and wondered what else is right handed. Shocked to read that, it's just a different world whether driving a car, signing at the register, or shaking someone's hand. People do not realize the difference (except for the lucky 10% of us).

So mirrored, or learned both ways? What's you're take?
As a fellow leftie I get where you're coming from ... BUT

I think you're overthinking this for robots. Getting the robot to perform the task in itself will be the challenge, not whether the operator wants the bot to do it left or righthanded. That seems like a trivial setting (as you mention "mirrored") compared to grasping the goals of the task and how to achieve them using the correct tools.

Since the world is 90% right handed, most tools are too. Therefore tools for right handed people are generally cheaper, so it makes sense bots will use mass produced right handed tools. (For example a hand drill on an assembly line)

In our own home, which is IMO +10 years away, your personal Tesla bot will use whatever you give it, with any hand you prefer. You'll come home and get that left handed handshake you seem to desire ;) .

Side note: as a leftie I understand how many tasks / tools / traditions are centered around right handed people, but I must say most of those don't bother me.

My main gripes are with golf, guitar and scissors. (precision jobs) But a handshake or driving a stick shift is just habit. Countries with the steering wheel on the right side (i.e. the wrong side, let's be real 🙃) consist of 90% right handed people using a gear lever with their left hand and they don't complain.

Reactions: pilotSteve
But can it use a left-handed monkey wrench?

I get the use cases you describe, and yes it would needed to adapt to both L/R hand use as a simple requirement. But is there new learning required for the other hand, or just mirrored?

More thought on this last night - At best, the AI would need to factor out commonality/differences, and there may not be any new learning in a perfectly mirrored task. I'd imagine it would have a transfer function for mirroring, but that's an extra step in the program with a very tiny latency cost. So would it replicate the NN in mirror form? Well, that takes up memory. And yet we have this setup in Humans. True, L/R Brain is a survival design of redundancy, but are my L/R handed tasks separate in Humans or shared? I would think motor memory is independent and redundant - otherwise why can't I just mirror something easily? In humans, I believe the memory, reflexes, motor skills, spinal even, are paired with the actual muscles, hence muscle memory. That design seems most efficient.

Something tells me this is not trivial. And if there are clear differences (a guitar that is not re-strung but flipped like Hendrix), that may constitute a whole new NN of finger motion memory, then just borrowing data on string locations from before. Sounds simple enough, but will it then have to pull data from the Right side in order to perform the task on the Left. Is that efficient? Sounds like a bunch of *pointers to me. And at what point does it conclude the tasks are different enough to warrant it's own NN? Is this when the robot (Dojo) dreams and re-write for max efficiency during sleep cycles?

I can't answer these questions, maybe someone who is closer to NN design can offer some experience. Also consider the visual and tactile feedback... is that also identical and mirrored? Can either hand feedback to the same NN, or would it be a different one? This all sounds philisophical, but it will need to translate to an architecture and learning system somehow. The only system that I know that does this are living species. Sure, there are 2-handed robots out there, but NN? How do they do it?

I make no assumption on NN designs for mirrored vs almost-mirrored tasks. And the world will soon learn how different the 2 halves really are. We take much of it for grant. In many ways, us lefties are the last ones to ask. Personally, I keep finding them because I'm discriminated against in that small way. The placement of the Card Reader at any store - definitely a right-handed thing when signing it. There's no room for your left hand or arm as it's literally blocked by plexiglass or candy... everywhere! I bet you didn't even notice.

Maybe there's a center brain for Mr Robot, and L/R motor functions that also have their own brains for motor memory/sensing feedback, and to share with the it's better half. So 3 brains then? Will the Tri-motor Cybertruck manage it's motors with 3 brains and a master for mere direction and strategy over time? Are the motor control systems reduntant? Speed would say it should be at least each one would be looking at the shock absorbers, tire pressure, traction control etc...

The efficient system pushes the tasks/feedback to the lowest level for speed sake. Mr. Robot is going to be complicated.