Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left model 3 with full charge at friend's place for a month. Came back to 0 miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the subject says.

I parked my car in a parking structure in LA for about a month with almost a full charge and left town for a month.

Came back to find myself in a bad situation. No superchargers nearby and no charge.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I expected a little bit of drain but it seems insane that I would lose more than 200 miles without the car moving.

What the subject says.

I parked my car in a parking structure in LA for about a month with almost a full charge and left town for a month.

Came back to find myself in a bad situation. No superchargers nearby and no charge.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I expected a little bit of drain but it seems insane that I would lose more than 200 miles without the car moving.

Was the car used in any way? Opening the car for example? Did you use the app frequently to check up on your car? Those are all causes for the systems in the car to stay active and consume more energy. However, it does seem that your car has a bug where one or more systems stay powered on and draining the battery over time. How is your car behaving now? Do you also lose many miles per day/hour at this moment?

What the subject says.

@te0x

Assuming you bring this up with Tesla Service, please let us know what they say. This story is very alarming if true, so it'd be good to know the root cause.

Given the earliest firmware update with sleep mode confirmed (2018.10.5) is around 3/25, and take OP's 1 month idle for reference (Mar 3 - Apr 3), The chance that his car won't suffer vampire drain is slim. From reports of my posts, most people suffers average 6-10 mi loss per day. before 2018.10.5. So for a 30 days idle, that means at around 180-300 mi vampire drain lose.

The Bad part of OP's story is Model 3's vampire drain is real and insufferable. (I never saw any article or website ever talked about it)
The Good part is it might become a history issue after sleep model introduced from firmware 2018.10.5

I had one of the very first Model S cars. In the early days (first six months) it had big vampire draw issues — about the same as the Model 3, but then it was fixed in OTA firmware early. Now I can leave my S at the airport for a week and only lose a mile (or less) of charge. I suspect this will get worked out in the M3 software soon.