TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Left my A/C on MAX for 5 hrs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xpitxbullx, Jun 23, 2018.

1. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Just to test out how much juice it used, I ran my A/C on max for 5 hrs while at work. It used 60 miles of my charge. Perhaps I’ll check it out with half power later.

• Informative x 10
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Most of the power is used driving the compressor, and that won't change. Running the fans at half speed will use less power but not as much less as you think.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Rate of discharge is 12 miles per hour. So guy on the Internet said his Tesla only used about 10 miles all day. That would be about 1 mike discharge and hour. That must have been a guess.

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Why 5 hours vs 1 (or 10)? Curious

5. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

That works out to about 3.8% battery drain per hour.

• Like x 1
  6. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

I meant to do 1 hour but since I was at work, I forgot to check until 5 hrs passed by. :)

• Funny x 8
  7. okashira

okashira Member

This is completely false. The compressor in any car, even a gas car is a highly variable load. Many gas cars use variable displacement compressors. Their load will also change a different pressure drops at the same displacement setting.

And electric car ac compressor is even more variable as speed can be controlled directly.
    I estimate the model 3 compressor can operate as low as 300W up to 7kW. That would be typical for an electric car this size.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

I just ran it for an hour at 70 degrees, fan speed 5, and recirculate.

It used 4 miles of my charge. That only 1/3 what it used when it was set to max.

• Informative x 2
  9. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

It probably was a relatively cool day, enough for A/C but maybe only a few degrees above. How much direct sun, and what latitude you're at is going to make huge difference, too. Because of windows a sunny day in Brownsville, TX isn't the same as a sunny day in Minot, ND even if the ambient air temp is the same. Also, quality heat block window film on the windows helps a lot.

A/C energy use is highly dependent on how much temperate differential you're trying to cool across. Humidity in the air makes a difference (and related, how many people you've got breathing and making heat of their own ;) ). The A/C compressor is the lion's share of the energy draw, the circulation fan running flat out constantly will draw negligible amount of energy. When you're setting it to maintain a given temp the control system will turn the A/C compressor on and off as needed, even if the fan is running the whole time.

10. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

My test was done in covered parking. 90 degrees in the shade. 11% humidity. Las Vegas is nice and dry.

• Informative x 2
  11. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

What did you have your cabin temp set at?

My comment was aimed more at the claims of "guy on the Internet". Did they give any sort of list of variables?

P.S. I manual tweak my Bolt's
    climate and save a good deal of range by "not sweating" a little heat. ;) I'll not even bother with A/C at all until it's mid-80's, just run the fan at manual setting. Even at the mid-90's mid-day on a scattered cloud day and NW Houston-ish humidity with the a good windown film I have I only need to run the A/C maybe a 1/4 of the time, to take the edge off periodically, if it's just me in the vehicle. That gets me about an extra 8% range. So instead of 10-12% of energy usage going to climate control it's about 2-3%. The Bolt breaks out climate control energy spent separately. If it's cool enough that I just run the fan with no A/C compressor it's not enough to register as even 1% of total energy usage, even if I have the fan set to highest setting.

12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I just ran the A/C in my garage at 70 degrees setting and it dropped 5 miles in an hour.

• Informative x 1
  13. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I left mine on evening set at 71, 80 to 90 outside. I had wine in the car and wanted to keep it cool. 4 hours and used 3 miles.

• Informative x 1
  14. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

70 degrees. Fan speed = 5

If it was out in the 108 degrees sun, I’m sure it would have to work harder:

• Like x 1
  15. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

He didn’t give any variables. He was generalizing his conditions and guessing.

16. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Wow it only drained 3 miles total in 3 hours?

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

4 hours!

18. T-Will

T-Will Member

Maybe a silly question, but how did you keep the AC on for 5 hours without the car going to sleep? I thought if no one’s in the car, it turns off in about 15 mins. Or did you just leave your key card by the cup holder?

19. Xenius

Xenius Member

I can't be positive this exists on the 3, but on the S/X there's a "keep climate on" setting so you can force it to remain on. It'll shut off if battery drops to 20%.

• Informative x 1
  20. GWord

GWord Member

All that consumption stuff is well and good, but come on man, tell us what the interior temp got down to! :D