Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left pillar camera blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It occurred to me the other night i get a lot of left pillar camera blinded warnings even though there's nothing to my left but there are bright headlights coming the other way to the right.

Is this just some kind of weird bug where they've messed up the language string for right hand driver cars or is it genuinely blinded if there's a bright light on the right?

It's curious that the left camera is blinded when I'd expect the right one to be

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony1960
It occurred to me the other night i get a lot of left pillar camera blinded warnings even though there's nothing to my left but there are bright headlights coming the other way to the right.

Is this just some kind of weird bug where they've messed up the language string for right hand driver cars or is it genuinely blinded if there's a bright light on the right?
Is it a bit of condensation?

It's curious that the left camera is blinded when I'd expect the right one to be
Streetlights?

Just assumed it was because the left camera couldn't see anything due to darkness when there's no lights on the left or bright markings to see
It is this. When driving in dark with no street lights it is a simple case of it being too dark for the left pillar camera to see anything.

Guess our more rural US cousins see the same on their right camera.

I often get multiple cameras blinded error on Oxfordshire country lanes at night meaning left and right.

• Informative
Reactions: Mullermn
It is this. When driving in dark with no street lights it is a simple case of it being too dark for the left pillar camera to see anything.

I think its also triggered by not being able to see anything but USS is detecting an object - hence why it mostly affects passenger side when its detecting things in the dark at side of road. So problem should go away soon...

• Funny
Reactions: H43lio
I'm in the US. I see these messages commonly when driving on pitch black roads with no street lights. Basically expected behavior.

It also shows up when the sun is shining directly into the camera. Doesn't seem to affect functionality much however.

Reactions: Adopado
but but but I though TV is like perfect and better than some stupid USS and other stuff others use...
Happened to me with USS on my old car too - cameras can't see anything when it's dark / pitch black, which is why the wipers are so awful at night too.

I suspect in this case, we get a lot more information from our cars than other brands tell you, not sure if other cars report cameras being blocked / blinded?

Happened to me with USS on my old car too - cameras can't see anything when it's dark / pitch black, which is why the wipers are so awful at night too.

I suspect in this case, we get a lot more information from our cars than other brands tell you, not sure if other cars report cameras being blocked / blinded?
Both our Teslas have USS and both do this as well. It doesn't bother us.
here's a funny exercise tfor you:

How Vision Only parking sensors, which work with cameras only (because USS provide maybe contradicting information therefore evil according some people on the site here, gonna operate and what result you are going to expect while parking in the dark place, when "camera is blinded by darkness"?

should be shedload of funny threads soon

p.s. I have USS as well so I am not affected, but others... :D

Reactions: H43lio
Lads... I'm not sure what USS has to do with the camera being blinded.

But like I said, it only happens when there is traffic coming the other way to my right. Once the traffic has passed the error disappears so it can't be that because the lack of street lamps would be a constant

Lads... I'm not sure what USS has to do with the camera being blinded.

But like I said, it only happens when there is traffic coming the other way to my right. Once the traffic has passed the error disappears so it can't be that because the lack of street lamps would be a constant
Well I get it all the time at night on roads with no other cars around. Simple limitation of the camera sensitivity in dark conditions as far as I can see.

Edit - I have a 2021 M3 with USS and agree it is nothing to do with that as the USS on screen can be yellow/red due to hedgerows and still get the blinded message.