Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Rear Door will not open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The left rear door will not open, although the handle moves and the window goes down when I move it. The door feels like it's stuck at the bottom; it moves slightly. Has anyone seen this before and have an easy solution, or do we need to make a service call?

I had a bad module that stopped my door from working. Mine was a little different though. The rear driver door wouldn't do anything from either the inside or outside and then sometimes randomly would pop open. The window would act funny too. I have a video where pressing the window switch activates the door latch. Real weird stuff. When they finally fixed it I was told they swapped a drivers side control module. Its worked perfect ever since.

Solved by Mobile Tesla guy, who said he had never seen this problem before. The inside door panel had somehow scooted back a fraction of an inch so it was caught by the gasket on the door frame. Mobile guy adjusted the door panel in just a few minutes, and all is again well.
I was trying to find this post again and glad I found it. My right (passenger side) rear door had been stuck for a while since around mid May with the same symptoms as your OP: after using the handle, the window does go down and door moves slightly out, but can't open (also to close it properly, you must push it back in until the latch clicks). The service center that handled my case had parts on order preemptively (a door controller) since then and my appointment was continually delayed waiting for that part. I finally contacted through the app to see what was going on, and they had me come in, saying they had all the parts necessary.

Anyways, got the car back and the issue was similar. Somehow the gasket / seal on the door frame (the one that goes all around) scooted out and it was catching on the door. Anyways, hope this might help someone having the same issue too.

Reactions: Alexgd
I had this same problem on the rear passenger door of my 2020 M3LR. mobile service came out and was able to bend the inner door panel back enough to clear what it was catching on. But the tech decided it was bent enough that it might happen again, so he ordered an entire new rear panel and came out 2 weeks later and did the replacement.

slightly irritating and mysterious problem at first, but I was very pleased with Tesla’s resolution.

Reactions: house9
This post hasn't been updated in a while, but I'm having what appears to me the same issue. My passenger side rear door all of a sudden wouldn't open last weekend. I started walking away from the car, annoyed that my seven year old was taking so long to get out, but finally went back to discover him in tears because he couldn't get out. The door came loose from the latch and the window came down, but it wouldn't budge more than an inch - totally stuck. It felt like I could forcefully pry it open, but not without damaging something. I immediately made an service appointment. In the week wait up to the appointment, the door decided to open by itself on the freeway twice. Only the same inch before getting stuck, but I still got the warning chimes and had to pull off to force it back shut. My car is in service now, and they wanted $750 to make the repairs, as my 2018 Model 3 is no lounger under warranty. I complained and they admitted that it's becoming a frequent issue, but the manager said there was nothing they can do. After further inspection, they said they need to order the part and it will now only be $550, but I'll have to make another appointment. I consider this a manufacturing defect, and what ought to be a safety recall issue. I want to find out if there are more of us out there having these issues.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
This post hasn't been updated in a while, but I'm having what appears to me the same issue. My passenger side rear door all of a sudden wouldn't open last weekend. I started walking away from the car, annoyed that my seven year old was taking so long to get out, but finally went back to discover him in tears because he couldn't get out. The door came loose from the latch and the window came down, but it wouldn't budge more than an inch - totally stuck. It felt like I could forcefully pry it open, but not without damaging something. I immediately made an service appointment. In the week wait up to the appointment, the door decided to open by itself on the freeway twice. Only the same inch before getting stuck, but I still got the warning chimes and had to pull off to force it back shut. My car is in service now, and they wanted $750 to make the repairs, as my 2018 Model 3 is no lounger under warranty. I complained and they admitted that it's becoming a frequent issue, but the manager said there was nothing they can do. After further inspection, they said they need to order the part and it will now only be $550, but I'll have to make another appointment. I consider this a manufacturing defect, and what ought to be a safety recall issue. I want to find out if there are more of us out there having these issues.
I had that happen once (door warning about it being open) when I pressed the door release on the door with the issue and didn't latch it back completely. You need to press the door all the way to make sure it latches completely.

It's definitely a defect under warranty, but not sure if it will arise to a recall unless this is a something that affects a traceable batch of cars. You can always file a NHTSA complaint.

Reactions: Tordoor
Glad I found this post. My 2019 M3 had the same exact problem except it's the right rear door a few days ago. It won't open from either outside or inside. When push the handle outside or press the open button from inside, the window goes down slightly but the door won't budge at all. Have made a service appt. Hopefully it's a same day service.

Can't remember how I fixed this but just happened to my rear right door lol. Is there a video somewhere? It unlatched and window comes down and if you force it the edge with the latch comes loose but the bottom middle is still latched
As I noted up thread, the fix is to remove the door panel from the inside, as per below post:
Model 3 rear door physically stuck after getting slammed

The SC fixed if for me in my case, so I don't know how they did it, but I suspect it was the same way. Basically the door panel trim is stuck, so the door can't open all the way (only enough for window to drop down).