Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left scroll wheel no longer controls volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My right scroll wheel is suddenly causing the voice commands to turn on when I scroll up or down (instead of changing the temp like it used to). The actual voice command button does nothing. The other button below it does nothing. Clicking the scroll wheel does nothing. The voice command is also randomly opening up on it's own. Resets have no effect. I had to schedule a service visit a month out because that was the first available one.

Has this happened to anyone else? The left scroll wheel on my MS with MCU1 no longer has any affect on audio volume.

- Same result regardless of the audio source; phone via bluetooth, native streaming apps, or terrestrial radio
- Volume adjustment on the main screen works fine
- Turning the scroll wheel still causes the volume indicator on the IC to pop up and change up or down as it always has; just does not reflect actual volume change! The display can indicate that the volume is muted and the level hasn't changed at all.
- Recently updated to 2021.24.25 but can't remember if this issue presented before the firmware change or not
- Rebooted the MCU and issue still persists.
If all else fails try this hail Mary
Change the tire size under services which causes the car to reboot then change size back and reboot again

This has solved many issues I have had over the years that standard reboots do not resolve including unresponsive scroll wheels after a new software update

rick

Might try a factory reset if reboots aren't fixing things. I just had to do that to fix some issues after MCU upgrade. I tried rebooting, changing language, Monty Python easter egg... Factory reset was the only thing that fixed it. Feels like a brand new car now (between the MCU upgrade and the factory reset).

Today the audio volume controls stopped working (be it the left scroll button, and the slider on the screen control). And Just out of the blue, the volume was weak (can still be heard) but very low and un-changeable. This applies to radio, USB music or streaming- BUT did NOT affect the Navigation audio control (slider on the screen), which played the whole volume range, as should be.
I didn't panic- it smells like a software hiccup. I just bootstrapped the car, by pressing both scroll buttons together, and walla- all the audio range is back and controllable.
My car is 2018 model 3.

Today the audio volume controls stopped working (be it the left scroll button, and the slider on the screen control). And Just out of the blue, the volume was weak (can still be heard) but very low and un-changeable. This applies to radio, USB music or streaming- BUT did NOT affect the Navigation audio control (slider on the screen), which played the whole volume range, as should be.
I didn't panic- it smells like a software hiccup. I just bootstrapped the car, by pressing both scroll buttons together, and walla- all the audio range is back and controllable.
My car is 2018 model 3.
Out of the blue yesterday all audio disappeared in The Good Ship Venus. No turn signal clicks. Camera flashed on and off when turn signal activated. No audio on phone, no voice commands. I have not received the new update. Reset screen while waiting at RR crossing. Took almost 5 minutes to come back, et voila' !, everything Jake, but I had to delete and re enroll my phone as a key. Now this morning the phone no longer works as a key. Again. Once more. Yet. Otra vez.
Maybe it is time for a full power down reset again.

Last edited: